White House: 2019 deficit double that of 2018

A few more conservatives seated on the court and we’ll see if that holds up.

How about way simpler- Rescind the absolutely unsustainable tax cuts that have doubled our deficit in one year alone. Ta da- problem solved…

Sure. Because if you don’t like the Constitution, just find some people to reinterpret it.

Kind of how we got to this point isn’t it? Or weren’t there any poor people around when the founders who wrote and ratified the document were in charge? Want to show me their government welfare programs?

Give it some time, those tax cuts were never intended to provide an instant boost to revenue.

Irrelevant. There was no standing army at that time either but one would hardly say our army is unconstitutional.

Given enough time revenues always increase.

Two wrongs make a right? And who wouldn’t say it is? I would say it, the constitution could have and should have been amended to permit it.

Wait, are you saying the standing army is unconstitutional?

Thanks for reminding me that the framers provides a means to check the power of the SCOTUS.

The federalist won out with their interpretation of the constitution I see no reason it is somehow unfair or unconstitutional for the anti-federalist view come to prevail at a later date.

In the same fashion the federalists originally prevailed.

Amend the Constitution.

Stop waiting.

Would rather see budget cuts. Another round of tax cuts, then anouther round of budget cuts.

Not technically uncsonstitutional. But the founders didn’t see the need for one, and thought it would lead to problems. So they added this to the constitution:

The Congress shall have Power To …raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years…

So congress can not fund basic military operations for more than 2 years at a time.

It would appear my point was completely overlooked.

I’m all for a balanced budget amendment, with caveats for times of true emergency.

I’ve said it before on here - I think the only way to truly fix this is to raise taxes and decrease spending. Doing one without the other is futile. Everyone should “pay” to fix the budget. Those that can pay more do so, and those that can’t have to find a way to do with less handouts.

So basics of my proposed amendment (and you’ll see why it would never be passed).

section 1 would be tax reform.
-set a revenue neutral single tax rate for personal income tax
-1 person per tax form
-A single deduction = to 80% of federal minimum wage (12,064) No other deductions or tax credits allowed
-would be both earned and unearned income
-set a revenue neutral single tax rate for corporate income tax
-any money paid out that is taxed on a personal level is deductable
-may deduct any taxes paid to a foreign government
-after above deductions company get a single 22% deduction.
-To raise the tax rate, would take a 3/4 vote of both house and senate. Both personal and corporate has to be raised at same time.
-To lower the tax rate, would require a simple majority of both house and senate. both personal and corporate has to be lowered at same time.

Section 2 Budget
-after passage 5 years to get to a ballanced budget
-if congress fails to pass a budget by Sept 1, the previous years budget will be in effect. If revenue is projected to be lower, all agencies and all departments will have budget cut by an equal percentage. If revenue is projected to be higher, all extra will be dedicated to debt reduction.
-Congress members (house and seante) will have their pay cut 10% PERMANENTLY if automatic budget is put in place.
-Congress can run a deficit by 3/4 vote for declared war. Will be in effect for 2 years, can be renewed 2x by simple majority vote (6yrs total). After that congress must do the 3/4 vote again.
-Congress can run a deficit by 3/4 vote for a specified and declared national emergency. This will be good for 1 budget year, can be renewed 1 time by simple majority vote.
Debt reduction
-5 years after the first balanced budget, 5% of all federal revenue will be used to start paying down the national debt. If an automatic budget is put in place: A) if budgets are cut, this amount shall NOT be cut. B) If revenue is greater than budget, it still must go toward debt reduction.

and a ton voted republican last time.

a ton of the people that i know, who are hardcore republicans, are poor. it’s gonna be very interesting to see what they do when the republican politicians, backed by the more wealthy republican partisans/companies, continue to slash taxes for the rich and kill support programs for the poor. they are the very people that put them in office.

a wake up call is coming.

1 Like

we’ve entered back in to the “greed is good” phase of Christianity/humanity. led by maybe the most greedy politician we’ve every had.