Which party and candidate will ultimately win the tv/streaming rating's war?

My predictions:

1. The Republican convention will have more cumulative viewership on their 4 nights; and
  2. On the grande finale night’s where the two nominee’s will do an acceptance speech, I believe Trump will be more widely watched.

How about you?

P.S. Seems like there may be significant drops in overall viewership for both parties’ conventions in 2020 as evidenced by what The NY Post (see below) had this to say about the opening day of DNC:

"The first night of the virtual 2020 Democratic National Convention was largely a snoozefest and that was reflected in its dismal TV ratings, which tanked compared to the opening festivities of 2016.

Networks CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox News, MSNBC and CNN averaged 18.68 million viewers during the overlapping hour of coverage beginning at 10 p.m. Monday, according to The Hollywood Reporter, a 28-percent plunge from the opening night of the 2016 DNC.

A dip wasn’t unexpected, as more and more viewers tune in through streaming services and mobile devices, which are not factored into traditional TV ratings.

Aside from a rousing speech by former first lady Michelle Obama endorsing presumptive candidate Joe Biden, the night was also short on instant must-see moments from conventions past, as most remarks were pre-taped with the event held virtually due to the coronavirus.

The broadcast networks — CBS, NBC and ABC — took the biggest hit, with a 42-percent decline in viewers from 2016.

The three cable news networks fared better, but still saw a 16-percent drop in viewership from 2016, the report said.

The first night of the virtual 2020 Democratic National Convention was largely a snoozefest and that was reflected in its dismal TV ratings, which tanked compared to the opening festivities of 2016.Among the six, MSNBC drew the most eyes during the 10 p.m. hour, with 5.1 million viewers.

But CNN crowed in a statement that it captured two key demographics: Adults ages 25-54 and 18-34.

The network also noted that its various digital platforms saw a 19-percent increase in unique visitors Monday as opposed to the first day of the 2016 DNC."

Do you believe there will be a direct correlation between viewership…and “votership”? I do…so let’s watch. It should be very telling as to the election outcome?

Joe doesn’t even have the support to have a small boat parade let alone viewers.

Definitely not the popular candidate.

I think Trump will have higher ratings. It’s like watching a car accident. You can’t look away.
But I don’t think ratings are tired to votes

4 Likes

More drinking games will be played during Trump’s speech than were played during Biden’s speech.

1 Like

Agreed. Apart from Trump’s base who might watch out of genuine enthusiasm for the man, more people will tune in to watch the former reality TV host for the same reason people watch reality TV - human dumpster fires are entertaining.

1 Like

No, there will be no “direct correlation” between viewership and “votership”.

But if Trump does get higher ratings, which he probably will (for instance, I will probably watch the train wreck that the RNC is almost certain to be) - then you will at least have some comfort in your beliefs for the next few weeks.

Which is probably the point.

3 Likes

When is Tiffany Trump speaking?

That’s all I care about.

3 Likes

What is the deal with that? She’s wanted nothing to do with them for years.

I might watch just to see what new madness appears when Trump goes off script

I’ve seen her around DC. Her law school and mine had “Bar Review” (law students getting drunk) together a few times.

From what I’ve heard, she’s an unpleasant person.

…bet a pizza? :sunglasses:

Dominos isn’t pizza, and I don’t make silly internet bets.

If I’m wrong, I’ll admit it - and not make any excuses. How 'bout you?

Wait. What’s the bet? He said Republicans will probably have higher TV ratings but it wont equal votes.

I think he wants to bet about whether Trump will win or not.

You’re no fun.

I happen to think that I’m a lot of fun, particularly in person.

But I don’t like playing by other people’s rules.

1 Like

I have no doubt she is a grifter like the rest of the adult kids.

I didn’t watch Dem convention. Didn’t need to. But I’ll be watching the repubs for the chuckle factor.

:clown_face:

3 Likes

Won’t all the republicans be too busy working to watch the convention?