Where is Peng Shuai?

When Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai went public with a bombshell sexual assault accusation against a retired top official, China’s response was to censor all discussion of the allegation internally—and dismiss growing international concern over Peng’s whereabouts and safety.

But China’s attempt to make Peng’s #MeToo allegation disappear—most recently by releasing an email purportedly from Peng that says she is safe and denies the initial sexual assault accusation—has only intensified international scrutiny.

Is the government of China protecting rapists and persecuting their victims?

Should that matter to rest of the world?

1 Like

Yes.

It won’t because we have to keep the shelves at Walmart full.

6 Likes

Is it just that they have “different cultural values”?

If the US wants to have a foreign policy that places an increasing emphasis on human rights to match years of lofty rhetoric, I am open to that.

4 Likes

Or would pushing the issue raise uncomfortable questions about the US government?

US officials have had similar charges, but the accusers have not disappeared.

Why are you changing the subject? The one in the OP is interesting enough.

2 Likes

I am trying to understand why the US government appears to have no interest in the case.

Of course there are massive business interests in China, so that may be the main reason.

The empire needs expanding, and the culture is what the empire says it is. I wouldn’t count that as values so much as decrees.

The new allegations are not the first about government-sanctioned rapes in China:

Is the government saying it is free to rape, even a famous tennis star?

No, they’re a massive, repressive, often opaque authoritarian/state capitalist country. As I said, if we’re going to have a discussion about the possibility of refocusing US foreign policy (and reciprocal US relationships) based on stuff like this, I am open to it. But—just a hunch—I suspect you’re not actually interested in that.

1 Like

What kind of changes would make sense to improve the situation in China?

Is the US willing to end profitable business relationships in the process?

Because our politicians are for sale and China has BIllions. See Hunter

2 Likes

These are excellent questions.

1 Like

The CCP does not like people becoming powerful who are not part of the party. She’s not the only one who has dropped out of site. Ma is gone too. Many more. There’s tons of news out of China I only see on Youtube from foreign sources.

Wiki says it was Bill who really got trade going for the CCP mass murderers… I seem to remember him taking China money and the fake news shilling for him and the FBI hiding it…

" For example, U.S. imports from China almost doubled within five years from $51.5 billion in 1996 to $102 billion in 2001".

Not that the Bush admin did anything to change it… They doubled down on trading with mass murderers . And here we are on the verge of war with them.

Ain’t the swamp great? It full of honest and brilliant people right? Harvard educated!..

How the heck did we give money to China to make biological weapons at Wuhan?

Yes. This woman is very high profile, and they didn’t hesitate to disappear her. Imagine what it’s like for regular citizens.

To their great credit, WTA is making a lot of noise about this.

Business interests, political interests, and geo-political interests.

Yes, China seems to be heading back towards Maoist tyranny.

A key difference from the 1960s is that China is no longer a nation of semi-literate peasants living on government communes.

Yes, and they seem to be expansionist now.

China uses capitalism for the betterment of the state. They’re not a capitalist country. But—just a hunch—probably why no one’s interested in that underlying premise.

1 Like