When they stretch that huge flag across the field

If they do it remember this. It is a totally inappropriate display of the flag. A flag is never to be held or displayed horizontally. But always aloft and free. I guess if it looks cool, then we should do it, whether it is appropriate or not?

The other exceptions of a flag in a horizontal position is when it is draped over coffins of those who served. The flag is also in a horizontal position when it is folded and then given to the family.

True, it could be seen as an inappropriate display. Or, we could see it as something more, something that reminds us of those who served, to be folded and given to us the brotherhood–family–of those who gave all.

1 Like

Not really. You can’t just make it up as you go along. At no time will you ever see a military man holding a flag during the national anthem. Except at sporting event. He is ALWAYS supposed to be standing at attention or saluting. No exceptions. He is allowed to violate regulations for a sporting event? If someone needs a giant flag covering a football field to inspire their patriotism, then maybe they are not patriotic anyway?

Another thing. The flag is NEVER to be used as a prop for a show. This is a show. Either we have stadards ur we don not.

3 Likes

It is not about inspiring patriotism, but honoring and remembering those who served. However, you might write a note to the NFL making your point.

The NFL is clueless. The military should know better.

I don’t know why it is necessary to sing out for the homeland before sporting events (don’t think they sing at the Masters!). I don’t know why we recite on oath to the fatherland before school assemblies.

2 Likes

Okay. But not really the topic. They will do the national anthem and they will mishandle the flag.

I was going to say just don’t watch, but then I remembered you all are boycotting the NFL anyway. Or so I’ve heard.

2 Likes

The first time the Star Spangled Banner was played at a sporting event was during the Civil War. In those days, with no sound system, a band had to be hired and it was quite expensive–so it became reserved for special game days such as opening events.

This was still the case in 1918 during World War I, when the World Series was almost cancelled out of respect to Americans overseas fighting in the war. However, it was learned our soldiers were anxiously waiting to hear that game being played–or at least the end results. Naturally, the Star Spangled Banner was played in their honor.

Fast forward to sound systems and the 1950s…Then NFL Commissioner Elmer Layden called for all of the league’s teams to play “The Star-Spangled Banner” at their games, arguing, “The National Anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kick-off. We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for.”

Show me where it is written that a flag is never to be used for a show.

Flag code applies to government entities only.

That’s not true otherwise the code wouldn’t discuss how to properly display the flag while horizontal

When displayed either horizontally or vertically a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left.

When used on a speaker’s platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker.

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever

3 Likes

Never mind the fact that the giant horizontal flag at midfield comes with a great big check from the DoD neatly made out the the NFL…

Ah, good. Not persuasive, however, for its ubiquitous use. Just my opinion.

Be sure to put patriotic coffee in that mug.

1 Like

Starbucks? He he

1 Like

Even the Army now displays the flag wrong on their uniforms.

Who told you this was a thing?

Now, I know nothing about this at all, but didn’t someone at some time literally make it up as they went along regarding all these regulations?

You mean things like this? Who knew…

tucker-carlson-1

1 Like