What's for Dinner?

Good grief, I might have to put you on ignore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Everytime you post something I start drooling and gain 10 lbs just reading :rage::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So, I do have a crock pot but it scares the hell out of me. I used it to can home grown Okra. OMG are they good! Especially in Bloody Mary’s!

So, I take the chicken’s way out on my chicken. Bake overnight at 180 degrees and it falls off the bone.

Take that! :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

OOPS meant to say pressure cooker. Don’t know how to edit posts yet.

If it’s any consolation, I ate too much (three drumsticks) and now my stomach feels kinda rough from the expansion. lol

1 Like

tonight. grilled tri tip
marinated in a mixture of olive oil lemon juice and rosemary
served with mashed taters and roasted brussel sprouts

Who likes…no loves ribs…slow cooked and sweet or Smokey with bourbon sauce.

1 Like

I’m not sure I know of anyone who doesn’t. I just learned you are supposed to peel the thin layer off of the back of the ribs before cooking. Then, marinate in a concoction of spices and apple juice over night. I’d always just put them straight on the grill.

Mushrooms are like little sponges. When ya cook em a lot of flavorful juice comes out.

Instead of using fewer mushrooms, try “reducing” the mushrooms by precooking them together with the sausage. Same thing can work with the onions.

Just a thought.

1 Like

I like mushrooms but a pound is too much for this recipe. The mushroom taste completely takes over.
I’d use 8 oz max. Don’t chop them. Slice them so you can see what they are when you’re eating them.

When I started going to the Butcher for my baby backs…He told me that you have to pull the membrane off if you are going to slow cook them on the grill. It makes them tough to eat if you leave it on. But I will tell you this… That little booger is hard to remove. But worth it in the end.

My mom and both my Grandmother’s used to boil their ribs…and then put them on the grill to just bake the sauce. Good, but not fall off the bone good like mine are.

If you have the time to spend…It is worth taking the membrane off, marinating them however you want…or rubbing them with what ever your want…and then cook them as slowly as you can…a good 4-5 hours with indirect heat and smoke. If you love Ribs like I do…there is nothing better than slow cooked.

OK, here is my process. I don’t really have a recipe…just make it to taste. I start with a rub that has a base of Rufus Teagues Meat Rub. I add Brown Sugar to that I also use hungarian paprika…as any other paprika just sucks. OK…I am hungarian…and have never used anything else. A bunch of other spices, some hickory smoke flavor, and then mix it all up. Secret…is don’t skimp on the brown sugar. I rub full slabs both sides, with this dry rub…then after that, I use Grandma’s Molasses and a long ice tea spoon to drizzle the rubbed ribs with the molasses. Once they are drizzled…I use just straight up Brown sugar to rub on the molasses, and then I stack them in my biggest pan, and cover with foil and let sit in the fridge for the next 24 hours. So if I want to eat at 4 pm…I start this process about 10 am the day before so I can start cooking around 11 am or so.

It is messy, and slow, but it is worth it. You do not have make sauce…or use store bought sauce. I make my own sauce with much of the same ingredients of my rub. Lots of Brown sugar, bourbon, my left over rub and a good amount of the hungarian paprika. I cook it for at least an hour over low heat on my side burner while the ribs are cooking…then let it sit covered. The big pan that the ribs sat in now has a nice juicy dripping in the bottom of the pan…probably about a cup of liquid gold. While the ribs are slow cooking, I brush the ribs with this juice. It keeps them very moist and the flavor of the original rub as it cooks into the ribs…it actually carmelizes on the meat. I do this every 15 minutes. But like I say…It is the most relaxing day of my year…it is a labor of love for me as my family loves these ribs.

I usually cook about 6-8 full slabs, and about half of these slabs I leave unsauced…and the other half about an hour before they are ready to be eaten…I start to coat them with the barbecue sauce. To me…this tangy, spicy sweet sauce is the coup de gras. My wife doesn’t like the sauce, but my kids and I do. Either way at the end of 4-5 hours of slow cooking and smoking…You have the greatest taste you every waited 30 hours for!

2 Likes

an easy way to take the membrane off.

slit it with a knife so theres a little tab.
use a paper towel to grip and pull

I use apple vinegar in my sauce…and I soak my wood chips in apple juice before I put them in the smoker. Yum!

That is what I have found…But yeah…isn’t it worth that extra step.

Yup, I have been unable to pull that membrane off without the aid of a paper towel.

I recently purchased a Memphis pellet grill. I can actually use an app to remotely control the temperature (and the grill). Not being too tech savvy, I haven’t tried that yet. But, it is a smoker so the ribs are absolutely amazing.

I also love to make beef jerky so am going to do that on the grill/smoker as well.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
This recipe is amazing. It is the sauce that makes it beyond to die for:

6 chicken breasts. Pound them thin. A lot ot times I will buy chicken tenders as the chicken breasts can get huge. I wind up making a tree forest out of toothpicks trying to hold the chicken breast closed. I have inadvertently made a sweater tying string around a big chicken breast to hold it together.
1 slice of cheese for each chicken breast. I like Lorraine Swiss but it is up to you what you like
1 slice of ham for each chicken breast (don’t cheap out on the ham @ 90% water!) You can also use meat candy (yes bacon partially cook this first)

Once you lay your chicken breast out nice and flat, add your cheese and ham. Roll it up like a burrito. Make a toothpick tree to hold it together then wrap with string. You can have a lot of fun with this weaving the string in and out of the toothpicks to make a chicken sweater.

Okay just kidding…

Wrap it up like a burrito and fasten it so the stuff inside doesn’t leak (out or is at least leaking to a minimum like an arterial spray with a tourniquet).

Mix a 3 to 1 ratio of flour and paprika. Roll the toothpick tree in the mixture. If that isn’t practical, figure out a way to get the damn chicken coated in the flour/paprika mixture.

Grab some butter. Not that wanna be butter but the real stuff. Heat the butter and brown the chicken on all sides. Yeah, the toothpicks are a problem.

Add DRY white wine like Chardonnay. 1/2 a cup or more. I wind up dumping a lot in. I don’t drink wine so I give it to the chickens. Bottom’s up!

Add some chicken bouillon. Kripes, not the powdered stuff. This will literally make or break your recipe. I use “Better than Bouillon”. I stick a spoon it in and spend a half an hour trying to shake it off the spoon.

Now, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. You want the juice to run clear. No salmonella side dish for you!

After the threat of Salmonella has passed, take the chicken out and put on a plate.

Now for the best and what makes this all worth while!

Blend 1 tablespoon (or more since my chicken are drunk) cornstarch and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (at least). If the mixture is too runny, add more cornstarch. Whisk it for a bit as it does thicken after a few minutes.

Pour over your chicken and holy cow is this good!

Went grocery shopping today, so I didn’t have any time to marinate the boneless skinless chicken thighs, but no matter. Pressure cookers are also for when you have no time to plan! :smiley:

4lbs of boneless, skinless thigh meat (this bag had huge portions, only 6 thighs in those 4 lbs)
2 cans of mushrooms
8 golden potatoes
4 cans cream of mushroom
Garlic and onion powder
1/4 cup vegetable protein stock

45 minutes in the pressure cooker and it’s like the chicken chews itself for you with every bite. :drooling_face:

Marinated Baked Pork Chops

Ingredients

1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
6 pork chops, trimmed of excess visible fat

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a small bowl, thoroughly blend soy sauce, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, and ketchup.

Place pork chops in a medium baking dish, and spread with 1/2 the sauce.

Bake pork chops 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn, and spread with remaining sauce. Continue baking 30 minutes, or until internal temperature of the chops has reached 160 degrees F.

@Konssurvative1 lol long ago I found a recipe that is basically half chili powder and half brown sugar and used it for chicken thighs or boneless breasts cut into fingers and never met a child or husband who didn’t like them cooked with that mix.

And speaking of brown sugar. My extended family has a treat we make every Christmas. It’s called Meat Candy.
Cover baking sheets with foil–its gonna be messy.

Lay out strips of good bacon.

Cover with layer of brown sugar–no measurements needed, just pile on the brown sugar. Good fresh ground black pepper, too, if you want.

Bake till the bacon is nice and done and the brown sugar is melty, carmelized, and yummy.

You can do it with cocktail weenies too.

Yum. Meat Candy. So good.v

What are ■■■■■■■■ weenies? :laughing: