What would happen to Billy Mitchell in today's military?

Can you point to any modern-day people in the military with the foresight of Billy Mitchell?

The last American I can think of is Admiral Rickover, who led the development of the nuclear submarine. He was forced to retire 40 years ago.

Qiao Liang (乔良) and Wang Xiangsui (王湘穗) appear to have some revolutionary ideas by western standards, but they appear to be adapting strategies that have a long history in China.

With Patton leading the charge and ordering the use of tear gas against the Great War veterans, many of whom had lived through German gas attacks in 1918. And also ordered the armored cars to ram through the veteran’s shanty houses they had built.

1 Like

The US may have come closer to a fascist dictatorship that most people realize today.

In 1933, the conspirators planned to recruit half a million military veterans from the First World War through various American Legion branches. They even pledged $3 million to buy weapons for their army so the troops could capture and hold the American capital. Once the seat of power was theirs, the plotters would install an ultra-nationalist, business-friendly regime modelled after Mussolini’s Italy.
The Business Plot – Did American Billionaires Really Plan a Fascist Coup? - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

Stirring up a coup or a civil war has become a favored approach that does not require an invasion to achieve objectives.

Dude the Bonus Army was protesting to have the money they were promised as they were discharged given to them early. It was the Great Depression. They needed what was owed to them.

They weren’t pawns in some coup.

But America did not become a fascist dictatorship. Sure its interesting but it did not come to pass.

Interesting you talk about coups and interference because that seems to have been a cornerstone of American foreign policy since the end of world War 2

See, this is what happens when you trust Breitbart headlines - you make yourself look foolish.

He didn’t tell anyone to disobey orders.

He said:

“No matter what you are told, you do the procedure. You do the process. And I’m part of that procedure,” Milley told them.

That’s from your article.

Sure, but having experienced the disaster at Pearl, and all the failures of imagination, we can now imagine a military more receptive to unorthodox thinking. Isn’t that what DARPA does?

It’s because the OP’s actual agenda can be summarized as “America sucks, yay Russia”.

2 Likes

First of all, Billy Mitchell wouldn’t be in the military today. He’d be in the Air Force.

1 Like

not sure how to read that… but a branch is a branch

Air Force is an activity.

I could have done without that. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Then you did it again.

1 Like

Fixed it. :grinning:

1 Like

Putting the shoe on the other foot, what would have happened to Gen. Mark Milley in WWII?

How long would Gen. Eisenhower or even Franklin Roosevelt have tolerated him?

1 Like

Not long.

1 Like

I think it depends.

Eisenhower did put up with Montgomery. A guy that everyone on both sides of the alliance wanted sacked and given a desk job transferring supply reports.

Yes, but Eisenhower had Churchill to contend with and he wanted Monty to stay. He commented that Britain needed heroes, too.

Had Montgomery been an American General, he would have been sacked, in my humble opinion, and so would Milley have been.

Can you not picture Milley approaching Gen. Eisenhower on the importance of invasion troops using proper pronouns?

I would hope Miley wouldn’t be that stupid.

LOL… I’ll give you that.