What will be the result in these major inner cities five years from now?

Any civilized society in order to maintain civility must have laws. It is also the case that for laws to be efficacious they must be enforced with actual consequences. An unfortunate fact that has been observed many times is that enforcing laws can get messy (as we saw just recently in Atlanta). Laws are made and enforced by human beings, NONE of whom are perfect and often have many flaws.

I think we all can agree that there will be changes and consequences that will result from what has transpired over these past few weeks of protests, riots and destruction of businesses and property. So will things get better or will they get worse as a result? To consider that question first let me ask everyone here this, who here would choose to move in any of these big inner cities to live and or raise a family? Who here would want to open a business in any of these big inner cities? Who would want to be cop in any of these big inner cities?

In the end only time will tell but we do have examples to draw from like Baltimore:

“The surge of shootings and killings that followed has left Baltimore easily the deadliest large city in the United States. Its murder rate reached an all-time high last year; 342 people were killed. The number of shootings in some neighborhoods has more than tripled. One man was shot to death steps from a police station. Another was killed driving in a funeral procession.”

The potential for something similar could happen in Atlanta:

“A number of Atlanta police officers did not show up for their Wednesday-night shifts in protest of murder charges brought against a former officer who shot and killed Rayshard Brooks after he resisted arrest.”

“In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Champion added that “there are officers saying they are not going to leave the precinct unless to help another officer. Some are walking off and sitting in their personal vehicles.””

The negative consequences are immense. Laws are only relevant if they are enforced! Think about various forms of petty crimes like theft. What cop in their right mind would even think of stopping someone from stealing? What happens when the thief tells the cop to go ■■■■ yourself? Is the cop going to be stupid enough to try and arrest the person and get into an altercation? That’s basically what happened in the Michael Brown situation. Could you imagine owning a business in which people can literally take anything they want from your store without consequence?

So what do you think, will things get better, worse or stay the same?

Cites go soft on crime → white flight → urban blight → cities go tough on crime → renewed interest by yuppies to move back to now-safer cities → said yuppies elect social justice warriors to lead the cities → cities go soft on crime again → white flight → urban blight → and so on

4 Likes

That about sums it up.

That said, lib policies and local government has prevailed in these cities for decades and these are the results. Why…does the left continue doing the same things over and over but expecting different results? The left owns the total destruction their insanity has motivated and now reaping. I also know that many in the minority community are very conservative and are appalled by what they’re witnessing and hope they lead the charge back to sanity. The voices of Candace Owens, Sheriff Clark, Dr. Ben Carson and others can lead and I am on board that sane train.

I don’t think that’s the case in most of these inner cities. In NJ the cities that are near NY, yes to some extent, but for the other inner cities by and large the only people moving there are new immigrants.

Liberal politicians are wealthier now than ever, so there’s been unmistakable progress. What the radical lib organizations like BLM want is to get in on that gravy train.

Lots of those businesses will never come back. Why should they?

So that just makes it harder on the residents that are not criminals.

The criminals themselves obviously do not care.

Rinse, repeat

Why would they, when the elected mayor won’t even be bothered to confront a bunch of woke weenies who take over six city blocks, including a city police department building? No one can feel safe in progressive Democrat controlled cities, not when they do that crap.

Not true. I can tell you for sure that Seattle city core is full of young college grads , mostly homegrown

It’s cyclical like many other things. F.e. why do Republicans keep voting for people who promise to cut spending yet never do ?

1 Like

You ■■■■■■■ fire them. Honestly ■■■■ any cop that won’t do their job because their feelings are hurt.

3 Likes

Cuz they are better than the alternative.

I tend to agree on principle. Excluding of course any members of protected groups.

Because of the differences between the two in the baskets the spending goes in?

I agree as well.

And there you go

1 Like

No all the other things besides spending.

Ok. I’m not sure what else they do.

Okay touche’

1 Like

I get what you’re saying.

But in the case of Atlanta a significant percentage of the force called in “sick.” And I’m willing to bet their union is already organizing a department wide strike. And surrounding communities have already indicated they will not send assistance. You have the state police, but they are too few in number to patrol a city the size of Atlanta.

They can’t hire and train replacements for every precinct in the city fast enough if they decide to walk off the job and start running picket lines.

1 Like