What Popular Entertainment Could Be Canceled?

Took a ride for a little shopping and “Funky Cold Medina” by Tone Loc was on the radio.

Midway through the song, Loc is singing about discovering his pickup, “Sheena”, is actually a man & rejecting her.

I sarcastically thought I’m surprised some sensitive soul hasn’t labeled this ‘80’s tune transphobic & called for a boycott. A much older Christmas standard, Dean Martin’s “Baby It’s Cold Outside” has already been protested as suggestive of rape.

What songs, books, movies that debuted decades ago do you see as possibly criticized or protested by various SJW’s today?

Steely Dan…. Only because it is terrible music.

5 Likes

In total agreement about this one.

Isn’t the entire premise of the song drugging unsuspecting women to extract consent ? :no_entry_sign:

1 Like

Meh… “Aja” is a great album, with great guest personnel - Lee Ritenoir, Steve Gadd, Wayne Shorter, Michael McDonald et others. Perfect album to use for testing a high fidelity system.

Bonus points for getting in a mention of Rudy’s Bar & Grill (Black Cow)

2 Likes

There are no points awarded for Hell’s Kitchen dive bars.

1 Like

Its the song about a caring man who drugs a woman to sleep with her so that she doesn’t get cold.

Here’s the actual history behind the song:

Golf. I hear the liberals are draining lake meade to ruin the game in AZ and NV

LOL. Being asked to play on a Steely Dan album is one of the highest honors a musician can receive. Only the best are/were hired.

It is what they play in hell.

Yes. Along with the BeeGees.

3 Likes

Cancel culture doesn’t care about pesky facts. It is what they say it is. Them only. Nobody else’s opinion matters. And if you disagree, they’re coming for you.

Some of the most talented musicians of the twentieth century, bar none. Music is a personal thing, I get not liking it, but damn, that’s harsh!

I have an aversion to it from doing live events for quite a few years and if I have to hear “Deacon Blues” played ten times in a row for sound check again I will throw myself through a window.

1 Like

If I had your personal experience I would probably agree, but I didn’t so I disagree. Steely Dan is an amazing group.

1 Like

The Gang Learns Rap Is Full of Homophobia and Transphobia.

Never cared for Steely Dan. As musicians they are fine, but the songs stink.

Then again, my opinion probably shouldn’t count for much, I think Jonathan Richman is boss.