What is the greatest horse race in the world?

In the wake of the controversial disqualification in the Kentucky Derby I heard a comment that the Kentucky Derby is the greatest horse race in the world. I thought I would give my opinion of what are the greatest horse races in the world. My top 4 would be:

1. Melbourne Cup

A handicap race run over 3,200 m on the first Tuesday in November with total prize money of $7,300,000 and trophies worth $250,000 in 2018. First run in 1861. No other race in the world can compare to the Melbourne Cup in its standing in the culture of Australia that is called “the race that stops a nation”… It is a public holiday in Melbourne, Victoria for the race.

The largest owner of race horses in the world, Godolphin,took over 20 years before they were able to win the Melbourne Cup in 2018.

Owners from New Zealand, Ireland, England, France, Germany, Japan, South Africa and the United States amongst other countries have tried to win the cup.

1. Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe

2. Epsom Derby

3. Grand National, Aintree.

1 Like

The Kentucky derby is in the mix somewhere.

Lots of history for 145 years.

Allan

It is a lot of history but in terms of tradition the derby distance is over a mile and a half. So that is why I haven’t included in in my top 4.

Huh? The Derby distance is a mile and a quarter.

The traditional distance for the derby is a mile and a half and for three year olds. I am aware that there are variations to that distance and I think that in Hong Long the derby includes 4 year olds.

In the Epsom Derby only entires and fillies are allowed to enter.

The Kentucky derby was originally at 12f. Cut back to 10 over 100 years ago.

Allan

The one that kills the least horses.

Big Al the Epsom Derby has been run over the mile and a half since 1784.

There were so many long shots this year at the Kentucky Derby, I thought placing $2 bets across the board on those.