What is a "forever first lady"?

Hillary Clinton is a first lady
Barbara Bush is a first lady
Melania Trump is a first lday

You’ll see I left one out. Because Michelle Obama told a group of college students she was standing there as their “forever first lady”?

Anyone have any clue what she means when she says she is a forever first lady?

https://ntknetwork.com/michelle-obama-declares-herself-americas-forever-first-lady/

My first impulse is to think Mrs. Obama was referring to herself as the first African-American FLOTUS in our nation’s history, suggesting that if she can stand there as that forever first, then the students themselves are limited only by their own determination.

I’m curious what interpretation you might have.

1 Like

I really had no clue.

It wasn’t to a group of blacks only, but to a group of college/university students in General.

It’s only a small snipped so we don’t have the context. Just seemed really odd to me to refer to herself as the “forever first lady.”

More context would definitely help.

Does it diminish the historical significance of her story if she wasn’t addressing a blacks-only group? It sounded like the speech was about breaking barriers and overcoming obstacles.

1 Like

She actually borrowed the line from entertainer Nick Cannon, but it’s still not totally clear. Here is a link to a speech Cannon made when he used the phrase; Why I Still Reach Higher: Nick Cannon On College Education

Then would Mrs Trump be a forever first lady? You know an imigrant who came to America, became a citizen and is now First Lady?

This is the best I can do. Not sure that it helps.

“I know you have everything it takes to succeed,” she said, speaking to
more than 8,000 high school seniors. “I know that you are me, and if I
can be standing here as your forever First Lady, then you can do
anything you put your mind to. So remember this moment when you’re out
there.”

They are all forever first ladies seeing how they keep being addressed as “First Lady”. they never loose the title.

2 Likes

Yes unless you completely stop addressing former first ladies by their former title.

Louisa Adams.

Except she wasn’t an immigrant - her father was American. She was already a citizen.

Well done. 5 points.

Six points.

No.

Ten characters

don’t you still address former President and First Ladies by their titles after they leave office?

Quibbling.

There are better things to use if you’re seeking to affix a “Forever First” title to Melania.

She will forever be a first lady because she was a first lady.

1 Like

That’s not what this is about.

Look at me, I’m so speshul. No accomplishments of my own, but I’m married to a world class killer of humankind.

She want to Princeton and Harvard.