What industries and jobs will be permanently affected and/or eliminated as a result of COVID?

Oo challenger. Or do you prefer the leer?

Embraer Bizjet.

Unfortunately, the choice of jets is a wee bit above my level. :rofl:

1 Like

Oo Praetor yeah those are nice. Wouldn’t mind getting my hand on those thrust levers.

I agree about #1. Industries where the employees were moved to remote figured out that the work doesn’t require an office. I’m thinking of publishing, because I know some people in that trade - a lot of agents and editors had to make very little adjustment in their workflow or operation when they were moved off-site. Administrative work, insurance, finance, tech - a lot of those employees don’t need an office.

I think the film industry is going to take a hit, not only because of theatre closings, but because the offerings aren’t all that good, and a lot of people are fed up with Hollywood in general. I can’t remember when I streamed a recent release, and hadn’t been inside a movie theatre for a few years before they closed.

Also - I like the OP’s use of “sardine” as a verb. I may borrow that.

Here’s a link related to this:

It isn’t just the quality of film offerings, IMO. Hasn’t the incidence of seeing movies in a theater been on a decline for awhile?

Who wants to pay box office prices, not to mention buy over priced snacks—not to mention having to deal with patrons yammering away in person or on a cell phone during the movie—when they can grab one at the Red Box & get their munchies at Walmart or Dollar Tree, enjoying what they want to see from the privacy of home with who they want for company?

Here’s another one. Enrollment is on the decline at both two & four year universities & colleges.

Virtual education may replace in person. In some ways I see advantages.

In virtual ed, one escapes some of the nonsense plaguing American colleges & universities, like safe havens & censorship of free speech.

OTOH A class that requires a lab may be somewhat compromised being exclusively taught on line.