What if fossil fuel was cut off during a polar vortex?

We keep finding and producing more. At the same time our vehicles become more and more fuel efficient as technology advances.

There is no flaw in the calculations, it’s a baseline.

The calculation is flawed because assuming constant rates is not reflecting reality. An equation that does not reflect reality is flawed.

As for new oil discoveries, those peaked in the 1990s. Although they have crept up again in the last decade, they are still far below replacement levels. Older oil sources are depleting at a faster rate than new discoveries.

Simple “bathtub math” problem. If the rate of water going down the drain of a bathtub is faster than the rate of water coming in from the tap…eventually the bathtub will be empty.

I love the way you threw in a Google conspiracy.

1 Like

You do realize that the colder solar panels get the more efficiently they operate, don’t you?

Everybody seems to take Buzzfeed as serious journalism these days. So why not?

Manufactured natural gas is a carbon sink and can be completely carbon neutral if you do it right.

It takes big minds to make big things happen

Solar panels are silly. They take way to much energy to make: they are a manufacturing nightmare of toxic waste and a little dust on them means you’ll never get back the energy it took to make them.

Nice to see a 48 year drought in Pakistan end…

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/pakistan-receives-record-snowfall-in-winter-3473959

Oh, it takes more than “a little bit of dust” to have an effect on their efficiency.

As for the more energy to make them thing, do you have any legit links on that? I don’t know much about that so I’d like to expand my knowledge. All I know for sure is that my cousin’s electric bill is usually $0.00.

Net energy calculations are notoriously difficult to make but some calculations do yield a net negative energy to produce silicon solar panels.

If they can ever get titanium panels to work effectively it might’ve different. Titanium is easily gotten from beach sand.

What part of ‘zero emissions’ are you not getting?

If you have any kind of emissions…whether it’s carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, water vapor, nitrogen dioxide, whatever, it will be illegal under this ‘green new deal’.

You options:

-Sun
-Wind
-Surf
-Geothermal
-Nuclear

I wish you good luck with that one.

Have you tried operating solar panels during a snowstorm? :rofl:

And pray tell, where does your brother live?

The electric cars have zero emissions. My dad’s car works just fine in the winter.

That simply isn’t true on a multitude of levels. We’re producing more oil today than ever to the point we’re now a net exporter of petroleum.

Each year our vehicles get more efficient as well so even as we increase the number of vehicles on the road production far outpaces what we’re using.

We also now have the largest known oil reserves of any country in the world and much of that is due to discoveries made over the last thirty years.

That ignores the emissions from producing the electricity in the first place.

No it doesn’t. Anything that interferes with the flow of light to the cells reduces their efficiency. It’s basic physics.

When you can change the laws of physics and biology let us know. Until then you’re just flapping your gums in the wind.

Methane from biomass requires huge amounts of water and acreage as well as enormous amounts of power to turn the mass, collect, refine, and pressurize the gas.

It is also entirely temperature dependent so when it’s cold you have to heat the mass in order for the bacteria to produce the gas in the first place.

There’s no evidence that any of this is true. Winters were far harsher before atmospheric CO2 jumped above 250ppm so the evidence shows the opposite.

The result of a winter like we’ve had this year without a reliable power grid would be the deaths of millions.