What happens when fact-checkers have an obvious conflict of interest?

I think righties are more likely to distrust all media sources, not just so-called fact checkers. And I think they’re often right to be distrustful.

Well, speaking for myself, I’ll defer to Snopes or Politifact if they are cited in any argument against me.

So far, I don’t think that’s ever happened.

At the same time, they give virtual 100% allegiance to the sources they consume, often because they are told to so by those very sources.

A closed information loop.

Who gives them their reputation?

Do you? Are you a “righty”?

1 Like

Accuracy.

Who decides when they are “accurate”?

Lol, of course not.

Interesting question you ask…I consume “news” from many sources but am clearly not a righty. But here I am on this site, sponsored by a definite “righty” I choose to listen to several times a week.

The loop…as long as you stay in that loop. :wink:

Reality. Recognition of objective reality.

Sometimes 2 + 2 really is 4.

Then how do you know what they give 100% to?

Interesting example you chose. I never listen to him.

Read the posts on this site…pretty much all you need to confirm where their information is coming from.

Interesting. You feel there is objective reality in politics?

Including yours?

Practically none. At best, I take media “facts” with a lump of salt.

Your next question, of course, will be, “So then who do you trust?”

That for me to decide. The way it goes around here, no matter who I might say, someone will tell me why I’m wrong. I see no point in going there.

Ah no, that is a different question entirely.

But Trump claiming we can get cancer from listening to noise from windmills…that falls under the truth or not test. There are many such examples.

1 Like

Is it objective reality that he said that? Meant that?

No.

I just made it up.

1. Given the extensive and longstanding peer reviewed published clinical research detailing the known interconnections and associations between chronic sleep deprivation, stress and numerous clinical disorders including ischemic heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, immune suppression resulting in increased infections and malignancies (cancers), depression, and anxiety, this observation of these particular preexisting symptoms and health problems worsening with exposure to wind turbine noise is not surprising to clinicians and mental health professionals when they understand the way infrasound and low frequency noise, regardless of the source of the noise, are known to affect health via the physiological and psychological stress pathways.

I wasn’t going to ask that because we shouldn’t blindly trust anyone all the time. We find some more trustworthy than others, that’s all.

1 Like