What good does it do to talk about race?

Let’s try an experiment first to see if discussions here on race, racism, etc., have benefitted any of us. Who here believes that your participation in threads on race has made you a better person or has changed you to behave in a better way towards others that you were not doing before?

I’m willing to bet the farm that the answer is no one.

I’ll share some personal experience now. Throughout all my life, especially growing up in an inner city, I had friends, neighbors, fellow servicemen, coworkers, etc., who were of different races than my own. Growing up I was well aware about slavery and some of the racist aspects of US history. Be that as it may, not once did I ever have discussions about race with them and we got along just fine and frankly I don’t see any ■■■■■■■ reason to do so. Not once did any of of my non-white friends feel compelled to discuss race with me either. My friends were my friends and I or them never gave a ■■■■ what our skin color was and never felt compelled to have discussions about skin color. My son’s best friend growing up was black. He and his mom got together with my wife and son on numerous occasions and never talked about race and got along just fine.

I don’t recall my parents ever talking about race with me or my siblings and I sure as hell don’t talk about race with my children. All of these types of issues get to the notion of morality and I for one (and I’m sure many others as well) don’t believe that politics or history is the best foundation to speak of and teach about morality. One of the ironies of this is that those who push this stuff are the Left-wing elites in Academia who by and large are atheists. Those who deny moral absolutes but want to preach to everyone else about right and wrong.

Yes slavery is a historical fact but here are some other facts to consider as well. The population of America when slavery ended was about 30-35 million. How many whites today actually had ancestors who were slave owners? My ancestors immigrated here well after slavery was abolished. How many other white Americans fit that description? Do you believe that a group of people today should be held responsible or even feel guilt for something others of their race did many years ago? Speaking of that, should blacks feel guilt about black leaders in Africa selling other blacks as slaves? Should you view a person on how they live their life or view them on how others of their race in the past or present did things you view as wrong? Let me end my OP with how I started:

Let’s try an experiment first to see if discussions here on race, racism, etc., have benefitted any of us. Who here believes that your participation in threads on race has made you a better person or has changed you to behave in a better way towards others that you were not doing before?

I’m willing to bet the farm that the answer is no one.

3 Likes

Literally nobody here on these threads has stated they believe whites should feel guilty about or responsible for things that happened long ago. Even discussions about reparations aren’t about making today’s people “feel guilty or responsible”…it’s an idea that recompense for stolen labor should be paid back.

The discussions and disagreements are on the following…are there any after effects lingering from blacks being held in slavery and then as second class citizens until just about 50 years ago? And what if anything should be done about those after-effects?

The beneficial discussions I have had with my minority colleagues and friends have all been beneficial in that we learn different perspectives on these ideas, even if we don’t always agree.

And what’s wrong with that?

1 Like

Out of all the characteristics a person has, race is the least interesting and least indicative of character or predictive of success in this country.

12 Likes

Is it?

What’s your proof?

On that triangle of white supremacy someone posted recently the term color blindness was indicated … poor old MLK didn’t know his dream was an example of white supremacy.

2 Likes

No more likely the New Right that keeps quoting MLK today doesn’t understand him at all.

New right?

Got news for you, the Left has swerved so far Left that there’s little remaining of the old extreme Left that’s extreme anymore.

People who simply didn’t subside with the culture but stayed more of less constant are now deemed the far Right.

3 Likes

I don’t mind to talk about it we often do, of course it isn’t hard to see it’s all one side wants to talk about and climate change. One just has to look at the mayor race in NYC hardily a conservative beacon and see what some of the biggest issues to voters were Crime, inflation, price of living. Once you get out of the cities and into the suburbs those issues only rise.

Discussions about what? Throughout my life the discussions I’ve had with others no matter their race pertained to our children, family, our homes, careers, sports, religion, faith, investing, hobbies, interests, etc. Never once felt compelled to discuss slavery, racism, etc., and never had anyone bring up those issues with me either.

Just because your friends of color didn’t talk to you about being discriminated against doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Never judge a book by its cover when applied to people and that includes more than skin tone.

I have always found race discussion a waste of time. The USA is the world standard for melting pot and does it best. End of discussion.

3 Likes

Not true at all.

Ok…and so this leads you to the conclusion such discussions are bad…how?

The actual indicators and predictors.

People don’t like to feel uncomfortable.

That is why some people steer clear of racial discussions.

That’s why it is so important to discuss them.

What happened in the past is important.

Take oneself from the comfort zone to listen to some uncomfortable truths about the past.

Allan

2 Likes

Why, so they’ll be “uncomfortable”?

Whether or not your great, great grandfather was a slave or slaver has exactly zero value in predicting whether or not you are successful in 2021.

7 Likes

You are correct. You sink or swim on your own merits.

Doesn’t mean that we can discuss racial subjects.

Allan

For what purpose?

1 Like

Uh oh

Bam…spot on and well said my friend. This represents my thoughts on the matter too.