What does civilian oversight mean?

Like I say, it’s sticky. I’m not a huge fan of generals dealing behind a President’s back.

1 Like

I don’t think truly believing Trump might do something to hurt the country would be much of a justification unless he had objective proof of the same, with specific dangers.
A lot of people, including in this forum, would have thought Trump would make a deal with the devil without any problem.
Others think the same of Biden.
Just thinking it isn’t a justification of anything.

Probably with half the country or maybe a little more. And that half now controls the Presidency, Congress and the Department of Justice. I suspect he is safe.

Yes, I am having problems with this as well. On the other hand, it is not unreasonable to assume that Milley had more information than we do.

I would not object to an inquiry.

Democrats in the media will probably award Milley a medal. Speculation is that Milley bragged about actions to Woodward as the basis of the book.

Democracies have a long history of willingly committing suicide. Fascists and Communists took power with the consent of the legislature in Germany in 1933, France in 1940, Czechoslovakia in 1948.

If Milley is allowed to stay, then welcome to a one-party, military-surveillance dictatorship under the domination of Communist China.

Yes because Miley is the sole gatekeeper stopping a dictatorship in America.

No, because it would confirm that China and its allies are in firm control of the military, media, and the surveillance state.

It would mean that the elected government is just window dressing. Elections are meaningless since elected officials are subservient to the real power through intimidation, black mail, and outright violence if necessary.

If you doubt that, consider the most outspoken critic of the military and surveillance state, Senator Rand Paul. He has survived three assassination attempts since 2017 with barely a mention in the mainstream media.

Codswallop

Milley is a symptom not the cause.

If the President allows Milley to remain in place and the reports prove true, then we will have a known collaborator with Communist China as the highest ranking general.

The same general is supporting a domestic “war on terror” against Americans.

Is he more loyal to China than he is to the US?

1 Like
  1. no he wasn’t.
  2. so what?

was it right? not in any circumstance. we have a state department for this kind of thing, not the dod’s job. if true, miley completely overstepped all civilian authority.

in the event that any president gives an order to do anything that the military leadership believes to be unlawful they have the option of refusing to obey it and facing the consequences.

Always had them. Even though the partisan shots from both sides.

Allan

Was this the same general that Biden and the general was pointing the blame finger at each other on who ordered the withdrawal of close air support planes from Bagram airport during the mess last month from Afghanistan?

Maybe Milley should have been working on a better withdrawal plan from Afghanistan instead of warning his concentration camp buds in the CCP.

3 Likes

Lol, I just can’t

making sense? lol, no just making ■■■■ up

Ya it’s rude it’s interesting her position on leaked calls before she became press secretary, one might say she had a different view then? Or perhaps like the rest she’s just full of double standard ■■■■■

1 Like

The constitution is clear that President is in charge of the military and US foreign relations. Milley appears to be acting to override and subvert that authority.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States . . .

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls . . .
Article 2, Section 2

From what I see, Milley could face prosecution for mutiny and sedition:

(a)Any person subject to this chapter who—

(1)

with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuses, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;

(2)

with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;

(3)

fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.

(b)

A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

10 U.S. Code § 894 - Art. 94. Mutiny or sedition | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Why can’t you?

Very amusing.