What do the best countries in the world have in common? - & How facts can shape peoples views on culture and race

Personally I view this issue more in terms of culture than that of race.

1 Like

Understood. I’m referring to the colonialists views on race of the myriad peoples they subjugated.

Well that’s why I mentioned history. Colonialism is a part of the history of a people and country.

Actually I made a similar point at the end of my OP. There is an inherent degree of subjectivity to any assessment of what country is the best to live in.

I’m very suspicious of this ranking. “Personal freedom” is not a measure of prosperity. Little imagination is required to envision prosperity that is accompanied by a lack of freedom. This idea is even brushed on by people like Alexis de Tocqueville and Samuel Adams.

1 Like

Sweden had a colonial past. It just goes back a little farther back

Sure there is. Canada is the only country that contains my wife and daughter therefore it is objectively the best :wink:

Not only are many of the African countries not on any of the top 10 or top 20 lists that I looked at, many are considered amongst the worst places to live according to the different sites I looked at.

I’m shocked stable peaceful countries are ranked so high.

1 Like

Race has nothing to do with it.
culture depend on the local politics and if ethnic dispute are the root of unrest.

please tell us why.

A little? :wink: I mean I guess one could throw in Norway and the Vikings but I think when people talk about colonialism they are referring to the last 100 or so years. Oddly Turkey and the Ottoman Empire gets a pass on colonialism.

Nah after the Vikings too. Swedes owned most of Poland and part Russia and Ukraine for a while there. That was way after the Vikings. :smiley:

Probably because they didn’t have colonies, they just conquered and had been slowly contracting for more than a century before their collapse.

Show me anywhere I mentioned race as a factor. Regarding culture that be viewed in many ways. Culture can refer to a particular region or people and say their commitment to things like education, developing technology, industrialization, etc. There are various cultures within the US. Northwest coastal states developed different cultures than those in the midwest for example. The fact is that in many of these countries that are at the bottom of these lists culturally speaking the people have become accustomed to living in poverty. Why do you think they have the most children?

When would a historian mark the end colonialism? And what progress have those countries made since then?

Comparing mostly small population Lilly white countries to diverse America is silly. And the criteria is kind of vague. Meaning it’s just a propaganda piece by leftist as usual. Fake news!

Trump calls them ■■■■ holes…

Generally the 1950s or 1960s and they were generally intentionally left in terrible shape. How Belgium left the Congo still haunts the region to this day.

Okay that’s 60-70 years, roughly about the time frame of the US industrial revolution. Also, last I checked Japan has made significant progress from Hiroshima and Nagasaki. During that time what progress has been made in those countries?