What are you reading?

Picked up “ How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities” by John Cassidy.

About halfway through a book called “Universal Coverage” by Dan Putkowski. I found out about it when I was looking for something else, Kindled it (it was only .99) - it’s set in near-future Philadelphia, a young family man who had been a college liberal has to navigate a nightmarish bureaucracy of the universal health care system when his 7-year-old son collapses on a sports field.

The writing is solid, journeyman prose, but the book, published in 2009, shows an astutely Orwellian picture of the push for universal coverage, in tandem with government regulation of everything - transportation, environment, housing.

Now listening to Second Hand Curses by Drew Hayes.

Its sort of a re-imagining of common fairy tales where three cursed people hunt down evil fairies and creatures.

Finished listening to Harlan Coben’s new book Runaway in just under two days. Typical Coben page turner which I absolutely enjoyed. Like all his books had a lot of twists and turns and this one has perhaps the most tragically ******* up ending of any book he’s written. Not a bad ending, just one that leaves you feeling like you felt after watching the movie of The Mist by Stephen King where the guy kills his kid and friends to save them from the monsters only to discover the “monsters” they heard coming were actually the Army coming to save them. Also it had a few cameos from characters from prior books which is always cool.

Now listening to Parodox Unbound by Peter Clines. Too early in to really know whats is about other than time travel of some sort.

Eagerly looking forward to next Tuesday when the next Expanse book by James S.A. Corey comes out. Can’t recall what its actual title is, I preordered it on audible months ago, but its book 8 of a planned 9 in the series.

Taking a break from reading economics and books about money laundering and started “Three Body Problem” … some Chinese Sci Fi to cleanse the palate

1 Like

Been interested in this but a lot of the reviews say that if your not familiar with Chinese culture that you won’t understand a lot of the themes in the book.

A little over a hundred pages into it.

It does have translators notes to clue you in on the cultural references that you probably wouldn’t know.

So far I am enjoying it.

The Skeptical Handicapper by Barry Meadows

Great read for a horse race handicapper such as myself

Allan

Lately I’m interested in the indigenous history and ways.

Still going at it with the Aztec and Maya book by Charles Phillips (it’s a long one).

Discovered author Margaret Coel, a sort of female Tony Hillerman, at the local library. She writes indigenous mysteries featuring Attorney Vicky Holden & Father John & their work among Arapaho tribesmen.

Am currently reading “The Spider’s Web”. Not bad so far.

I just finished “Capote,” and it held my attention the entire book. It did reaffirm my beliefs about him and he truly was off a half of bubble, but at the same time he was a gentle soul, and liked that part of him.

If you like Hillman and Coel, and Native American mystery series, you may like the series by Sally Bissell, Peter Bowen, Aimee and David Thurlo, Thomas Perry.

1 Like

Finished listening to Tiamat’s Wrath by James S.A. Corey, book 8 of the Expanse series. Totally enjoyed it but it was rather obviously a setup for the 9th and final book of the series. Some MAJOR deaths though of some series long characters. Kinda weird book in a way though since the main character of the series, James Holden, was basically a side character the entire book.

Now listening to Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I’ve read the quadrology many times and its my favorite book series ever but I’ve never listened to it. So far I’m not impressed by the audio version as its a multi cast narration and some of the voice actors DO NOT fit the characters at all. For instance one character in the book is a super tough female brawler but the voice actor narrates her like a valley girl. Compounding it is that I’ve heard this female narrator before in other books, I can’t recall her name but I definitely recognize the voice, and she is doing the exact same voice which demonstrates her lack of narration skill.

Physically I’ve been reading Sand by Hugh Howey for over a month now. I loved Wool and its sequels by Howey but this book isn’t grabbing. I’m 51% through it according to my kindle and I’ll probably power through the rest eventually but I’m just not emotionally invested in it.

Gave up on “The Spider Web”. It was too slow paced, and with some higher ups in various tribes having very mixed heritage, as well as numerous Hollywood personalities, is it as stigmatized as portrayed for a tribesmen to marry outside his race? Repeated references to “the white girl” grew old.

Nora Roberts’ “A Shelter in Place” started out with promise, but was ultimately disappointing. Ms. Roberts failed to do her homework in various topics before making them part of the story line, and some situations strained credibility.

I had hope for it as a large print book, too, as double vision in one eye has made reading uncorrected more awkward, and I don’t want to roll over upon falling asleep in bed & break glasses, so it’s taking longer to read books in standard print.

Finally gave into e-books. It’s easy to prop myself up on the couch and read in this format. If the phone is charged, it may not even be difficult to read a little in bed. I can adjust the screen.

So my first e-book is Seattle suspense author Kevin O’Brien’s “Terrified”. I’m really not wanting the POV if a kidnapper & child molester—I enjoy being kept awake by suspense, not feeling a need to run to the shower—but other than that, it’s credible.

I can picture the basement apartment and feel for anyone who must flee and stay under the radar to avoid a violent ex. Here’s Kevin: www.kevinobrienbooks.com

About 40% through a book called “The Five”, by Hallie Rubenhold - in depth biographies of the five victims of Jack the Ripper. Very well researched and well-written, and the portrait of the latter 19th century East End of London is pretty shocking.

Right now, I’m re-reading DUNE by Frank Herbert… again.

The original DUNE series is one of my all time favorite sci-fi collection. It’s got tech, science, mysticism, philosophy, religion and politics.

There’s a new movie in the works being directed by Denis Villeneuve

1 Like

I read the first Dune book when I was a child. I loved it. I picked up Children of Dune, but I had no idea what was going on.

I’m 540 pages into Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire). It’s been taking me awhile to get through this book. I really enjoy it, but also find it kind of dry.

my favorite of the series is the 4th, God Emperor of DUNE. It’s all political philosophy. Not a lot of action.

I haven’t read any of the Game of Thrones novels, too daunting right now. I’ve invested into many other massive series like that.

Oy, I’m afraid I’m going to have to award another three stars out of 5 on Amazon for ‘Terrified’, by Kevin O’Brien. I was so looking forward to giving 5 stars.

There are at least two scenes of violence that are totally unnecessary—even when portraying a wife beating ass hat with no conscience. Really.

This reader can only take so much. Not sure what I want for my next ebook.

Considering that the series may or may not actually get written, you might be be the smart one by not investing into the series.