We Need To Stop the Shutdown & Go Back to Work

Thank you my friend.

at some point it’ll be necessary to take a chance. cant hide forever

and then the pelosi democrats and the nutwit left will start their “profit over people” attack on trump for the election

1 Like

The logistics alone in support of this idea make it untenable.

It is approved, but the OP assumes instantaneous scale-up of supplies.

@Janet_Miller I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the aim should not be to get everyone back to work. However, if there is a return to work too soon, then you won’t just be going back to square one. If there needed to be another lockdown; the economic pain suffered thus far will have been completed wasted.

1 Like

Actually this will provide a good compare and contrast.

The worst thing we can do is group activity like spring break beach party and Mardi Gras.

Having construction and manufacturing where conditions are sanitary and group contact absent could be fine.

:man_shrugging:t3:

The goal is to stay locked down to get the number of infections under control and then you can enter a phase where you have the resources to manage and contain flare-ups.

You may be able to get to that phase by the end of the month…unless of course you have states like Florida doing stupid things like calling churches essential businesses.

And that of course is the problem.

The longer people are stupid about this, the longer we have to stay in this phase.

Like everyone gathering in NYC to watch the hospital ship come in…:roll_eyes:

We just had a bridge crew here have their first guy test positive, the whole job is shutdown now, plus their spouses are quarantined from their jobs. I work with one of the spouses, I would be lying if I said I was not unnerved.

Construction is near and dear to my heart and many of these projects need to be started early to finish before winter, tough situation.

Interestingly construction workers often wear particle masks as SOP for material hazards.

Do I really need to cite the numbers of cops and hospital workers?

Again…Not right now…April 30.

I’d rather skip the ‘learning as we go’ portion of the crisis and get to the ‘best known practices’ part.

A construction site…it’s impossible to maintain 6 ft of separation in many tasks, and sanitation is tough to come by. It’s foolish.

4 Likes

lol. You should visit a toll brothers job site and report back to us about the number of people wearing masks.

It depends on the site for certain. We have a cracker plant with 8000 trades under construction and that one will be tough to get going.

Residential construction with small crews of 6 to 12 workers should be fine. You better be able to do a roof without holding hands.

2 Likes

heck, even before you get to the job, you’ve blown social distancing! How do you sit 6ft apart in a crew cab?

How you carry cabinets, spot them for the installer? How do you carry a roll of carpet up while staying 6ft. apart?

It’s crazy.

Add to that, in a remodeling setting, how do you meet the homeowner and review the punchlist 6ft apart? Heck, in a remodel, the crew often shares the bathroom with the family! My crew is usually in the house before the kids are off to school! Paths cross constantly.

It’s crazy. Absolutely nuts.

This is exactly why we need an economic recovery task force to assess some of these hazards.

You make some good points. I am of the opinion that as new cases drop and hospitalizations drop we can increase these risks incrementally.

no work? but … someone has to make the government cheese

I think these decisions are the prevue of the existing task force - the prevention task force.

And I agree - once we see declining cases, we can start opening things up - but unless we get serious, and national with the shut down, we aren’t going to see cases decline for a very long time.

It’s absurd that we don’t have one national standard for business restriction right now. As it stands a carpenter in PA can go over to NJ, work for the day, get infected by someone, and come home, go the PA grocery and infect his neighbor. Despite PA trying to keep that carpenter home and healthy, suddenly they have new cases in their system.

I will wait till documented medical experts weigh in to confirm your suggested cure.

No, crippling the economy for a couple of months is an economic disaster. Throwing away hundreds of thousands of lives to avoid it is not only unethical but also politically impossible.

CNN would be doing a story on everyone who was suffocating to death because there were more patients than ventilators.

We need an economic panel for balance.

We can do both.

They can even meet together to hash out different POV.

I’m not following you. I think construction workers are more essential then fast food workers.

I feel bad for people unemployed, but there is also stress working out among the public when clearly the virus is spreading.

Not now.

Let’s see where we are each week and by April 30 we may see the virus in full retreat.