WATCH: Trump Surprises Rush Limbaugh with Presidential Medal of Freedom During State of the Union

Originally published at: WATCH: Trump Surprises Rush Limbaugh with Presidential Medal of Freedom During State of the Union | Sean Hannity

President Trump honored legendary radio pioneer Rush Limbaugh with the Medal of Freedom during Tuesday night’s State of the Union Address; shocking the broadcaster and his family on national television.

“Rush, in recognition of all that you have done for our Nation, the millions of people a day that you speak to and inspire…I am proud to announce tonight that you will be receiving…the Presidential Medal of Freedom,” said Trump during the speech.

"Rush, in recognition of all that you have done for our Nation, the millions of people a day that you speak to and inspire…I am proud to announce tonight that you will be receiving…the Presidential Medal of Freedom." –@realDonaldTrump

Congratulations Rush! #SOTU #SOTU2020 pic.twitter.com/wIYdghSSHT

— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) February 5, 2020

Limbaugh recently disclosed his diagnosis of “advanced” lung cancer; confirming he was seeking treatment for the disease.

“This day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory, for me, because I’ve known this moment was coming,” Limbaugh said. “I’m sure that you all know by now that I really don’t like talking about myself and I don’t like making things about me… one thing that I know, that has happened over the 31-plus years of this program is that there has been an incredible bond that had developed between all of you and me.”

“So, I have to tell you something today that I wish I didn’t have to tell you. It’s a struggle for me, because I had to inform my staff earlier today,” he said. “I can’t help but feel that I’m letting everybody down with. The upshot is that I have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.”

“I thought about not telling anybody,” he added. “It is what it is. You know me, I’m the Mayor of Realville, so, this has happened and my intention is to come here every day I can, and do this program as normally and competently and expertly as I do each and every day because that is the source of my greatest satisfaction professionally, personally.”