Was the Congressional Chaplain fired for being Catholic?

Flown somewhat under the radar here, but Ryan ordered his firing some time ago. And now the Father appears to have rescinded his resignation, with bipartisan support and is alleging…

That’s going to get ugly real fast. It appears some members had complained of not feeling able to talk to him about spouses/kids.

More here.

I wonder how well a “Are Catholics Christian?” poll would go here.

1 Like

I’m glad he rescinded his resignation.

If he should be out, let Congress vote him out.

To be blunt, he’s not what I would consider an orthodox Catholic by any stretch, so his asserted and ordained label is just a label. The notion that he was ousted because he is Catholic seems a bit farfetched.

I’d rather see a different chaplain that Fr. Conroy, but a one-man decision to oust him is not the way to have it done.

I mean when the Chief of Staff for Ryan is telling him to his face “Maybe it’s time that we had a chaplain that wasn’t a Catholic”, i’m not sure how the notion is farfetched.

By not orthodox do you mean because he’s a Jesuit?

Better than a Mormon poll!

1 Like

The prayer in question that appears to have riled some Republican members:

“As legislation on taxes continues to be debated this week and next, may all members be mindful that the institutions and structures of our great nation guarantee the opportunities that have allowed some to achieve great success, while others continue to struggle,” Conroy said.

“May their efforts these days guarantee that there are not winners and losers under new tax laws, but benefits balanced and shared by all Americans,” he added.

No. Ryan is catholic.

Did he really, though? People are saying a lot of things these days, and audiences are running with their assertions without any semblance of verification.

Do you have any doubts that Ryan’s chief of staff will deny saying that?

“Jesuit”, like “Catholic”, is just another label.

No, I mean the stuff he has endorsed and supported is less that Catholic orthodox.

But that’s not really the point of my previous post, and I’m not interested in debating (again) all those Catholic tenets that so many “Catholic” personalities reject.

I am glad he is standing his ground and I think the Republican Conference will back down.

Also, a technical note for anybody that may not be aware.

The Chaplain, like the Speaker, Chief Administrative Officer and Clerk, is elected by a vote of the whole House of Representatives and reports to the House of Representatives as a body. He CANNOT be fired by the Speaker. ONLY a majority vote of the House of Representatives can fire him.

libs like catholic priests.

“Maybe it’s time that we had a Chaplain that wasn’t Catholic”

Hear Hear! But how will we find a Hindu dumb enough to take the job?

1 Like

There are two or three that I’m fond of.

Sadly, the Priest that I grew up with, and was “Pastor Emeritus” at the same parish for the last couple of decades just passed away.

House Chaplain is an anachronism that could pass by the way and America would never miss it.

Baby Jesus would miss it, sinner.

2 Likes

in times and places of lesser religious austerity, the military would make available chaplains of various faiths.

one would think Congress could do the same.

Rear Admiral (Retired) Barry Black who serves as Chaplain of the United States Senate is a 7th Day Adventist.

They could go back to the early practice of the Chaplains switching Houses on a weekly basis.

Congressmen don’t make Private pay. They can make their own way to their own clergy.

I’m tired of paying for ■■■■ for those do nothing ass hats.

Yes, they are.