WARREN WEIGHS-IN: Elizabeth Warren Says ‘I Support the Right of People in Iran to Protest… BUT’

Originally published at: WARREN WEIGHS-IN: Elizabeth Warren Says ‘I Support the Right of People in Iran to Protest… BUT’ | Sean Hannity

Senator Elizabeth Warren finally weighed-in Monday on the ongoing political crisis sweeping Iran; saying she supports of the people’s right to protest “but this isn’t about us.”

“I support the right of the people of Iran to peacefully protest against their corrupt government. But this isn’t about us. We should support them, including by lifting the Muslim Ban—not try to engineer regime change or recklessly risk a war,” posted Warren on social media after days of silence.

I support the right of the people of Iran to peacefully protest against their corrupt government. But this isn’t about us. We should support them, including by lifting the Muslim Ban—not try to engineer regime change or recklessly risk a war.

— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) January 13, 2020

The growing pro-Democracy demonstrations in Iran turned violent Monday when police apparently fired live ammunition and tear gas to disperse the growing crowd.

“Popular anger swelled Monday in Iran over the accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner and the government’s attempt to conceal its role in the tragedy, as online videos appeared to show security forces firing live ammunition and tear gas to disperse protests in the streets,” reports the Associated Press.

“For a growing number of critics — from ordinary citizens to notable athletes and artists — the events have revealed a government that is incapable of following through on its incendiary rhetoric and willing to mislead its own people about a national tragedy in order to avoid embarrassment,” adds the AP.

“They are lying that our enemy is America! Our enemy is right here!” students shouted.

Source: Associated Press