Warren on forced school busing 1975

Some libs tend to just assume black people will react with violence.

Same way they tend to assume that black people are incapable of getting an ID card. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A poster asked when “negro” became politically incorrect to say. I was stating that if it bothers them that negro cannot be used, go ahead and wander into an African American neighborhood and use it.

So what should African Americans do when they are called Negroes? Laugh? Politely ask them to leave? Shake their hand?

Most people understand that negro is not a word that should be used in society.

I don’t remember those, so they must not have been very effective.

This one will probably be forgotten soon as well.

about the same time others were supposedly engaging in racial renter policies huh?

Weak…

What they should not do is violently assault someone as that will likely result in jail time. And what you should not do is assume black people are violent criminals.

No where did I say that there would be violence.
I don’t assume ■■■■■ don’t put words in my mouth.

Please, your assumption and inference was quite clear.

I assume African Americans are violent criminals? ■■■■■ please point that out to me, I clearly missed that.

Uh huh.

Biggest takeaway is some people are upset they can’t call blacks negro?

Nope, someone wondered exactly when it became offensive which is not the same thing as wishing you could say it.

Context. All about context.

Fear, panic, and desperation indeed.

Never forget 1975!

Sure, if by daily basis you mean hasn’t been okay for like forty years.

Who decides what is okay- and how do they communicate their decisions?
Do you wake up to a daily set of instructions telling you what you can say?

I’m about to turn forty. I’m originally from DC, which was about three quarters black in the 80s. I grew up in a black neighborhood. There’s never been a moment in my existence on Earth that calling black people Negroes has been okay. It’s not “daily,” it’s been out of bounds since Jimmy Carter was president.

Black people calling themselves black instead of Negro or colored was a conscious political decision on the part of their community that started in the 60s with the Nation and black nationalist movements and by the 80s had entirely replaced them.

3 Likes

It’s not against the law. You can use it if you really want.

I have used the word, negro, but usually in a southern drawl meant in a mocking fashion of older people below the Mason-Dixon line.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer. I think you are accurate.

1 Like

Go ahead and use it, no one is stopping you.