WARREN: ‘America Built on the Backs of Enslaved Peoples,’ Time for ‘National Conversation’ on Reparations

Originally published at: WARREN: ‘America Built on the Backs of Enslaved Peoples,’ Time for ‘National Conversation’ on Reparations | Sean Hannity

Senator Elizabeth Warren said the United States was “built on the backs of enslaved people” during a speech Friday; claiming it’s now time for a “full-blown conversation” about racial reparations.

“America was founded on principles of liberty and built on the backs of enslaved people. It is time for our government to face this truth. Time for America to have a full-blown national conversation about reparations,” said the Senator in Atlanta.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren campaigns in Atlanta: "America was founded on principles of liberty and built on the backs of enslaved people. It is time for our government to face this truth. Time for America to have a full-blown national conversation about reparations." pic.twitter.com/ZY0JAC1NVe

— The Hill (@thehill) November 22, 2019

Warren also doubled-down on the Democrats’ year-long claim that Stacey Abrams is the rightful governor of Georgia; saying the midterm elections reveal how “broken” America’s “democracy” has become.

“Right now, our democracy is broken. How do I know? Because Brian Kemp is sitting in @StaceyAbrams’ chair. And we are all grateful to Stacey for what she’s doing to make sure that never happens again in this country,” posted Warren on social media.

Right now, our democracy is broken. How do I know? Because Brian Kemp is sitting in @StaceyAbrams’ chair. And we are all grateful to Stacey for what she’s doing to make sure that never happens again in this country.

— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) November 22, 2019

“Voter suppression is just one more relic of Jim Crow, and we need to say so. That’s why I have a plan to strengthen voting in America. It starts with restoring the Voting Rights Act,” she added.

“We all know—and say—the names of those whose lives have been cut short with callous indifference by law enforcement. Let’s honor Aiyana Stanley-Jones, Rekia Boyd, Korryn Gaines, Sandra Bland, and Atatiana Jefferson by reforming our criminal justice system once and for all,” Warren concludes.