WAR in Ukraine, Putin approves initiation of special military operation (Part 1)

Yes, the headlines about alleged Russian atrocities in Bucha can be scary.

My observation is that there are plenty of good reasons to be skeptical about the reports. A starting place is to look at the credibility of the source for the claims. The best evidence deadly shots fired in 2014 Euromaidan massacre came from far-right Ukrainian nationalists. The massacre was used as a pretext for 2014 revolution that removed the elected pro-Russian president and established the current government in Kiev. Given that history, Ukrainian reports of Russian atrocities should be viewed with skepticism.

Another factor is that the chaos of war makes it difficult to say what actually happened.

Government censorship is also a factor. Both sides limit access to the war zones, and both sides limit information from the war zone. In March, Ukraine arrested a man for allegedly posting a video that showed Ukrainian military vehicles at a mall. Coming forward with information that contradicts the official narrative is likely to result in arrest or retribution.

Recent news is that “flechettes” from artillery rounds have been recovered from the bodies.

While the Guardian headline says that the flechettes came from “Russian artillery”, both sides have used reportedly use these types of rounds in Donbas.

When it came to the Flechette Round, Alex broke down as he recalled its usage against him and his family. Which side fired them, he still doesn’t know. ”Separatists of [sic] the Ukrainian Army, both sides always blame the other. Bastards” he said, reinforcing the reality of the conventional war of shadowy deniability that characterizes the Donbass conflict.

Good news: Civilians are starting to leave Azovstal.

Note that the BBC fails to mention statement from the Russian government about civilians being free to leave. Instead they say that the civilians somehow escaped in spite of Russian efforts to keep them in Azovstal.

Are false narratives endangering the lives of civilians still in Azovstal?

https://twitter.com/Levi_godman/status/1520506728026152961

That is some spin.

it ain’t spin, its what he actually said.

No it’s spin. If he didn’t actually believe Putin then he wouldn’t of gone on to suggest we work together with Russia on cybersecurity

Yep

1 Like

One that you created.

You still here?

2 Likes
  1. Phased array radar is not necessary for detection of sea skimming missiles. Mechanically scanned radar with doppler/clutter rejection will do the job. And frequency scanned radar can do the job too.
  2. Russian airborne assets are capable.
  3. Russian and Chinese assets are capable.
  4. Missiles that transmit comm or their own radar can be detected and geolocated without radar.
  5. Turbojets have an IR signature that can be detected.

I have no idea why you are hanging your hat on whether a phased array radar was on the ship.

Meanwhile, it looks like Ukraine attacked the battlefield headquarters of the senior Russian military, killing dozens of officers, a major general and injuring Putin’s top commander Gerasimov. Account is unconfirmed as of yet.

The West did not create Putin.

This is what I mean about you having nothing to teach…because this is so ridiculously simplistic it’s not even funny.

2 Likes

In time you will be parroting my position claiming it was yours. It’s what you do.

1 Like

I know its a rag but it looks increasingly accurate…

"VLADIMIR Putin’s top military commander has been wounded in Ukraine and was sent back to Russia just days after he arrived to take charge of the war.

The Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov had been sent by Putin to take personal control of his push to grab territory in Donbas and eastern Ukraine."

Mmmmm

Exactly.

It is SOP.

1 Like

Still dubious.

Need more confirmation.

Hopefully it is true.

The attack looks legit- the status of Gerasimov is still in question.

Generals KIA is a useless metric. Those days are over.

That is a good source.

The Finn’s found out that winning has a down side against Russia.

I am almost done reading Frozen Hell…story of the 1939 winter war.

Finland found out Russia is a devastating foe.

Then why hasn’t Russia won this thing that they started?

And what did Russia learn about the Finns?

2 Likes