USS Tripoli (LHA-7) commissioned yesterday (July 15, 2020) as the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) continues to burn

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/USS_Tripoli_(LHA-7)_transits_the_Gulf_of_Mexico_during_her_builder’s_trials.jpg

USS Tripoli (LHA-7) during her recent builder’s trials.

USS Bonhomme Richard (LPD-6) during her 1998 builder’s trials.

The ships look very similar as the America-class is based very closely on the preceding Wasp-class.

If there was ever a well timed ship commissioning, this is it.

Obviously, the Tripoli is going to have to step up a lot faster than would be desired, to fill the void left by the Bonhomme Richard.

1 Like

Is this really political?

$3.5 Billion tax dollars worth of political.

I’m curious if there’s a way to speed up Bougainville. And if additional funds will be appropriated by Congress to speed up the next ship. Not sure funds are enough to speed up America class construction. I get there’s a whole building capacity issue.

Not much way to do it without either slowing down Ford-class carrier construction or Virginia-class submarine construction. Columbia-class submarine construction is pretty much locked in and cannot be slowed down.

Sorry Safiel, why do I think you’d want us to slow down Ford class construction? :grinning: The building infrastructure I’m not too on top of, but I know we need the Columbia and Virginia stuff to keep moving. Virginia is already behind.

I thought the Bonhomme Richard fire was finally extinguished??

It was extinguished about an hour after I originally posted this thread. :smile:

It was but the ship is toast.

It’s a total write off at this point.

Well this is great news. We need to expedite the building and fielding of this entire class of ships.

Smaller, faster, more mobile targets that are better suited to shallow waters is going to be very important in the upcoming decades as the threat matrix keeps evolving.

How do you know exactly? The Navy hasn’t even started its investigation, they’re still going through the ship making sure there are no hidden hotspots behind the bulkheads.

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here.

These ships are built to sustain a lot of damage and keep fighting.

Think back to Pearl Harbor. A good many of those ships that were sunk were back in the fight in months or a couple of years.

No worries.

I saw the picture you posted, and I’m not real familiar with this class of ship. Is it some kind of carrier?? Only smaller??

It’s a gator freighter, ie: carries marine assault units & gear, and deploys them via helos, mike boats & LCACs. She can handle the harrier jump jets and the F35 fighters, so she could be used as a light carrier in a pinch.

Thanks.

1 Like

Haven’t heard that term in a long time!

USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2) 1985-1989

USS Charleston (LKA-113) 84’-87’ GMG2

2 Likes