USGS is now saying a major eruption of Mt. Kileaua Imminent

What happens when super high pressure steam expands in a tight or closed chamber?

I’ve watched quite a few interviews with USGS people on the Island and off this week and they are saying there is the potential for a massive eruption due to trapped steam well below the surface due to the collapsing lava lake filling with debris.

Hang onto your shoes, the sailing time to HI is considerably longer than the sailing time to PR.

When the chamber bursts the material is ejected into the area of least resistance… .Scientists call these craters… You might have noticed the one right smack in the middle of Kilauea… This would not be the first time scientists have observed Kilauea erupting…

Assuming that is the path of least resistance. With the vents and faults opening up away from the crater that doesn’t seem to be the case currently. If it fills with debris from the collapse, it almost certainly won’t be.

So it says it’s unlikely, it doesn’t say it isn’t possible.

The phrase they used was “extremely unlikely”…

There is no geologic evidence for past catastrophic collapses of Kīlauea Volcano that would lead to a major Pacific tsunami, and such an event is extremely unlikely in the future based on monitoring of surface deformation. Kīlauea tends to “slump”, which is a slower type of movement that is not associated with tsunamis, although localized tsunamis only affecting the island have been generated by strong earthquakes in the past.

I read the whole thing. It says it hasn’t happened in the past, this is not the past.

I certainly hope it doesn’t happen because if it does, with the slope and depth it could be a very large one.

There are too many unknowns for anyone to say with any level of certainty what will happen if a massive eruption occurs.

I know from the interviews I’ve seen this week there is a hell of a lot of concern that a massive eruption is building and that if the lava lake continues to drop precipitously it’s almost a certainty.

not a massive eruption. one similar to the 1924 eruption. if you are more than a couple miles away from the volcano your pretty much out of the danger zone for falling debris. and that one didnt cause a tsunami.

LMAO… What they said was it has not happened in the “geologic history” of the south flank… Do you have any idea how long “geologic history” is?

Here is the relevant paragraph…

Geologic history combined with models of south flank motion suggest that the likelihood of a catastrophic failure event is incredibly remote. There are certainly signs on the ocean floor for landslides from other volcanoes on the Island of Hawaii and from other islands, but none are associated with Kīlauea. In addition, Kīlauea has experienced much larger earthquakes and magmatic intrusions in the recent past. The large earthquakes of 1975 and 1868 were not associated with significant south flank landsliding, nor were major East Rift Zone intrusions in 1840 and 1924.

I am curious why you seem so dead set on this scenario…

btw, did you guys see this the other day. i had forgot about it until i saw this thread…

Yes, I well understand it. Catastrophic eruptions are usually a once in a lifetime event in the life of a volcano.

Following one the new mountain that is formed is usually some distance from the last one because it’s pretty well gone.

I won’t blame trump for the eruption.

If the Fed. botched the response I will fairly blame him if he doesn’t get involved and improve the efforts since the buck stops with the POTUS.

I’ll also point out the irony of an administration - and an entire party and political movement - who ignores science when convenient suddenly trusting scientists on this.

But all that aside - good luck hawaii.

How long will it take before 45 is blamed? Probably the same amount of time, that President Obama was blamed for EVERYTHING.

Again, you’re making things up. I said it was possible, I’m not “dead set” on anything other than it being a possibility.

You don’t have to blindly accept anything coming from science when it comes to volcanic eruptions, you can see them in real time.

Your thread title says imminent.

You said ‘imminent’.

what was the thread we had a the old place that said something was “imminent”??

1 Like

But you are predicting an eruption…

(And also, you can of course see the effects of GW in real time too…)

I love this response from USGS…