US wages begin to fall

Free isn’t affordable?

:rofl: Insults. The last vestige of a losing position.

Sure. We’ll send you a bunch of President Trump supporters and they can make Canada great again.

No thanks they already elected the brother of the crack smoking mayor to be premier and he has been caught in several lies.

The stuff that’s free is not offered at nearly the scale to be truly useful.

Come on…stop trying to pretend that any retraining efforts have been either scaled or funded appropriately.

How are they not scaled or funded appropriately if they are free and not full?

so, private schools charge a lot because of the federal government?

Do private schools accept money from government guaranteed student loans?

The student loan program is causing an artificially high supply of money in the education marketplace. Simple economics. Anything in high supply has a lower value. The money available for tuition had devalued the currency in that market and driven prices up at every college. Why are private and public colleges charging more for tuition? Because the government has enabled people to mortgage their futures to pay it.

so that makes private colleges charge the outrageous prices for just regular Joe’s?

Plus they got away without paying taxes on the money which I have to do.

Your market beliefs are bs. We have a shortage of teachers in the US and wages are not going up. You claim competition drives prices down, not true. When is the last time your cable provider or cell service went down in price?

Part of the reason

from Prizes for Everyone: How Colleges Use Scholarships to Lure Students - WSJ

George Washington spent $138 million in institutional funds last year on scholarships and grants for those who qualify as needy under federal calculations, an increase of 4.4% from the 2014-15 school year. But non-need-based aid surged 52%, to $48.6 million, over the same period. Many students also receive grants and loans from federal and state sources.

At Tulane University in New Orleans, nearly 39% of undergraduate students received scholarships without showing financial need. The school estimates it will spend $71.5 million on awards this year not tied to financial need, and $64.2 million on need-based aid.

Sticker price and what most people pay, not the same thing, or as it says in the article.

same link Prizes for Everyone: How Colleges Use Scholarships to Lure Students - WSJ

David Strauss, a principal at higher-ed consulting firm Art & Science Group LLC, says schools are using a strategy well known to retailers: Shoppers generally prefer to buy a $60 shirt at a 50% discount than a shirt originally priced at $30.

My price on cable hasn’t gone down, but my internet speed has quadrupled for the same price. And plenty of discount cell plans are on the market, I choose to use a higher priced one with better coverage.

yeah, most companies are not gonna drop prices. i’m getting ready to raise our support prices by $20 just because i can. our clients are pretty locked in.

Sure you can, until someone else comes along and undercuts you. No they won’t drop them for no reason, competition is what drives the price down. Why? Did someone argue companies drop their prices out of the goodness of their hearts?

Regular Joes have access to the loan money. So, yes.

What is your explanation?

Supply and demand certainly doesn’t seem to be a factor anymore.

Could be you have it backwards. Between what communities vote on for their school budgets, and union rules about wages, can teacher’s salaries rise? If not, the lack of pay would create a shortage of teachers, as has already happened.

The same thing is currently happening in the trucking industry. With new regulation and electronic logging as well as some of the new environmental regulations that have come out, the amount of money a driver can earn has dropped. Now there is a shortage of drivers.

My market beliefs are sound.

And pray tell how does that happen when individual states have been pushing up the minimum wage?

Guess raising the minimum wage is just a useless exercise after all?

It’s almost like the massive tax cut for people like Donald Trump didn’t help at all.

1 Like

Yeah, tax cuts would cause wages to rise…said no one ever.

However, you have repeatedly screamed in my ear that raising the minimum wage would put more money in the pockets of the middle class…and that has obviously not happened.

Time to own up to your failure, proggie.