US Space Force Prepares to Defend the Forest Moon of Endor

The problem with this logic is… creating an entirely new branch of the military… does not save money.

Don’t defend this ■■■■■

1 Like

It’s a good idea. Don’t hate it just because it came from Trump.

2 Likes

What’s a good idea?

Focusing on space militarily and in other ways. Or, as Trump puts it, the Space Force.

So much TDS.

Focusing on space militarily and other ways is a good thing. But… What does the Space Force do?

A space soldier wakes up, brushes their teeth, goes to their duty station and ???

1 Like

I would assume the same as soldiers in other branches of the military. I guess I don’t understand the question you’re asking.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Why??

There is a long history of fiction about fighting in space.
But the current reality is that there aren’t any assets in space (no drugs made in 0-g factories, yet. No diamond mines on the moon.) We (the planet earth) gets nothing from space that is (as yet) worth fighting over.

There are intermediate assets (like communication satellites) in space, that one might destroy or defend. Spy satellites would fall into this or the next category.

There is the possibility of direct military threats (like orbiting launch platforms) that the US might want to create (or defend against the enemy’s).

But AFAIK, there isn’t enough need at this point for a whole new branch needed to address the military implications of space. Standing study groups yes, but a whole new slew of arm patches, no.

We waste enough money on preparing for likely military needs on the surface of the Earth. This Space Force seems mostly like a way to suck even more money into “preparing against the possibility” of even less likely scenarios that we already waste money on.

Looking at the current situation, a Cyber Force seems more useful to national defense than a Space Force. (“more useful” does not rise to the level of “should be created”)

3 Likes

It’s stupid. You don’t need a whole separate branch for this.

1 Like

But not a separate and additional branch. What is the NSA for?

1 Like

There weren’t any “assets” in the air when the United States formed the Air Force in the early twentieth century either. Yet the Air Force is obviously a valuable part of the military. But I think the point here is, there will be more and more assets in space in the future. It’s a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Also:

Of course there were, the Army Air Corpses

I disagree. It’s every bit as important as the formation of the Air Force was. China is already ahead of us in space. Let them (and Russia) have it and our military will be at an incredible disadvantage in the future.

Ok, we disagree. The formation of the Air Force wasn’t important. We had an Air Force, Army and Navy. Now we have 4.

We had an air force before the Air Force was officially formed?

So you don’t want a Space Force. Do you think the Air Force should become much larger and expand into space, or should we mostly ignore space militarily?

Yes, two. I already told you.

No need to expand it now. Maybe not in the future. To do what? Change the batteries?

“How much more black could it be?”

“None. None more black.”