Unnecessary overpriced education

Typically in NJ is relatively easy to find teachers for History, Art, Phys Ed, English, Languages, Music, and generally any non-science or non-math type of class. Even in the inner cities. There is simply a greater supply of people with these types of degrees than there are people with science degrees.

It can be difficult to fill teaching jobs here in Northeast Pennsylvania (and throughout much of rural Pennsylvania for that matter). A lot of schools are remote and well off the beaten path and so many of the new education graduates are looking for urban or suburban locations or at least places close to activities. Which turned out to be great for a cousin of mine coming back from Florida after her divorce a few years ago. She is a science teacher, previously employed in Seminole County, Florida at the high school level. She applied to seven districts in the rural Pennsylvania County that she moved back to and got immediate job offers from five of them for high school science positions and job offers from the other two for other positions at the high school level. If your willing to locate to a rural area, most likely you will get your desired position.

I’m sure each state has its own unique problems concerning education. In NJ outside of the inner cities most of the districts do okay.

Ahh, the corrupt system of Schooling.

This is a time where it hurts the Democrat Politicians
taking the credit for the failed Schooling system in America.

Just add this to the list of other corrupt Democrat Politicians systems,
in America.

People with Math and Science degrees can typically find more lucrative careers than teaching. My daughter is majoring in Math and plans to teach, but she’s in the minority.

Feh!

I’ve got college grads with biology degrees working with me, and they’re starting out underemployed with a lot of student loan debt.

Some became moms out of wedlock—really not a smart move, and blame their degree or degree field for “employers who didn’t pay me anything”—um, they did, but having a kid before such a debt is paid off will not show a financial gain.

Others regret going at all. IMO any degree is useless—even math and science—without some sort of plan to follow after studies are finished. Teaching may not pay six figures, but public school teachers are offered benefits & teaching is an honorable profession & more of a plan than many college students have.

1 Like

I’ve been teaching science in a prestigious private, college preparatory school for 31 years. My doctorate was not in the sciences, it was in archaeology (anthropology) with a minor in geology. I was first hired to teach earth science, but my degrees did not get me the job. I taught a practice lesson observed by the chair of the science department and several teachers. It didn’t hurt that I knew my stuff, but it was my connection with kids that won me the job over a more experienced teacher. I was not a strong chemistry student in high school or university, but in my early years of teaching I taught myself the discipline. I performed experiments on my own time during the summer and took classes with students at my own school. Now, I’ve co-authored a textbook in experimental science and teach teachers from all over the country.

You never know what life throws at you. Knowledge is power.

2 Likes

It’s funny how the seconds time around it seems so easy. I got stuck teaching Fluid Mechanics which was not an area of achievement for me as an undergrad. But it seemed so simple when I taught it!

Yeah. Interesting. You don’t know how well you know something until you try to teach to someone else. That’s the real test. Good on you.

Funny some homebuyers missed that memo.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/the-10-hottest-housing-markets-in-2018.html/

Many are looking to buy in more conservative areas and states like Ohio & Michigan that, for awhile, were considered Rust Belt.

Some “hot housing market” also list cities in states like North Carolina and Tennessee as among the most sought for home purchases.

Us libs are just that good.

Or the other side is just that bad at convincing people.

It always amazes me when some student says something like, why do I need to study psychology to assist in a medical environment? Am I going to psychoanalyze my patients (actual student comment).

Um, because many universities & colleges have a social science requirement? To gain some insight into dealing with a wide variety of people?

Discipline “what does THAT have to do with my chosen profession?” could be Spanish, or a particular science, or something else altogether. IMO Anyone considering college should really beforehand ask themselves what they want out of it.

Is it an improvement of their education in a variety of disciplines? Or strictly “job related” courses?

If it’s the latter, perhaps they’d be better off at least delaying college. Career plans sometimes change, and often those courses that may seem irrelevant may help in whatever the changes are.

Some courses are fairly neutral in their content. Is there really a conservative chemistry? Or a liberal French?

Others, such as social science, may be taught more from one perspective or the other.

A BS in biology is almost as useless as a undergraduate psychology degree. Not many job prospects and the ones that are available don’t pay very well.

1 Like

That’s the sad truth of it. (Sad, because it requires a great deal of intelligence, dedication and hard work to graduate with a Science degree.) Unless your science degree is related to engineering or computers, the chances are, you will have a great deal of difficulty finding a good (meaning well paid) job in your field with just a BS. Well, unless you work for government, that is.

why are you under the assumption that one’s undergrad degree is prologue? the only people who graduate from college with an immediately-marketable skill are nurses architects or maybe some engineers. Getting a degree – any degree – gives you access to jobs that you wouldn’t otherwise have.

What a nice dream and I wish what you suggested were true for the majority of young adults.

I didn’t make any comment or observation about undergraduate biology majors who are pursuing graduate work. I used to work in education and when a biology teaching position becomes available we would get plenty of resume’s (not as many as History, Phys Ed., English, etc.). In other words there were plenty of people with biology degrees who were either unemployed or underemployed.

Regarding your statement that “getting any degree” gives one access to jobs that you wouldn’t otherwise have is not something I believe the facts support, in particulary when you consider the massive student loan debt problem. Furthermore there are points made like this:

"More than 40 percent of college graduates take positions out of school that don’t require a degree, the study found.

And more than 1 in 5 college grads still aren’t working a degree-demanding job a decade after leaving school."

Here is the full article:

It almost seems like you had some point to make, but failed miserably in trying.