UK Brexit secretary and foreign secretary resign

It’s all very British. It’s not like this is all that unusual for them, historically speaking. They were still doing this crazy political jockeying for unclear advantage in the middle of WW1 and WW2.

Probably the best Tory prime minister Labour ever had.

3 Likes

Corbyn is a total loon. He’s to the left of Bernie.

What do you see as the most likely outcome? Sounds like May probably won’ last much longer. If she’s pressured to resign and does so, is a new leader temporarily appointed until a permanent one is chosen? Or would her resignation automatically trigger an election?

If I remember right she’s in a coalition with another party, so likely you will be voting soon in another general election.

Here is Boris Johnson’s resignation letter if anyone is interested.

I just got home from a week in the UK. My Brit friends all back Corbyn. Obviously, they also all think Brexit is a terrible mistake. And oh my the conversations with people from all over the world I had in the Wimbledon queue about Trump! I don’t think there is any politician ever as universally loathed as he is. They don’t understand what has happened to the US. They actually pity us!

I’m just so disappointed I left before the Trump in diapers balloon goes up.

Too early to say what the ■■■■ happens now. Looks like May and her admin were trying to get in front of Boris leaving, which was always kind of expected.

I can’t see a situation in which he doesn’t mount a leadership challenge, he’s a snake. Or even someone else for that matter.

As to whether that leads to another GE (general election), that would be one hell of a risk.

But a party can replace their leader without having to call a GE, fairly standard.

And yes, May’s majority is very close. I don’t think her recent stewardship (windrush in particular) has won her any new fans.

@MoleUK

What in the love of Pete does “protect cyclists from juggernauts” mean?

Your country right now reminds me of the star of Mass effect 2. Everyone and everything is blowing up and screaming and joker is up front convinced things are still ok and he can save the ship.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I don’t entirely understand how UK politics work, so that is helpful. I thought her resignation might trigger an election automatically, but then it didn’t when Cameron stepped down.

In any case sounds like it’s going to be very chaotic for the next while, with Boris and perhaps others challenging her for the leadership.

Woooooo nerd alert.

Also I know exactly what you’re talking about lol.

3 Likes

It just seems like the perfect allegory to describe the current state of UK politics, politically dead politicians coming back alive included.

He said Britain was heading for “a semi-Brexit, with large parts of the economy still locked in the EU system, but with no UK control over that system”.

It was in the “ludicrous position” of offering to accept huge amounts of EU laws that for decades British governments have argued against, yet with no say in how they are made.

“In that respect we are truly headed for the status of colony – and many will struggle to see the economic or political advantages of that particular arrangement,” he said.

its because the PM isn’t directly elected.

You think Boris would win leadership?

So that explains how a moron like Justin Trudeau ended up as PM.

1 Like

Liberal party vote for their leader,
Liberal party win majority of seat in the House

The Prime Minster is the same as House Majority leader.

Well I realized he had to be voted on by someone. That was more sarcasm than anything else. The leader of the party who wins the most seats becomes PM in the UK and Canada. I do understand how that works.

The joy of the system is if we don’t like the PM we can pressure the party to throw him out and replace him.

What their other option? To rely on us? Lol