U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

The entire U.S. suffers from boobaphobia. It’s a bit extreme. I have been to European beaches and Caribbean beaches where women are allowed to wear the same amount of covering that a man does. And guess what? I came back totally unscathed. No damage done. After about 15 minutes people stop noticing who is or isn’t wearing a top. The American freak out over all things booby related is a little much.

It is a tremendous advantage for a baby.

The breast has two biological functions. One is to feed a baby and the other is to look pretty. The human species is the only one that has breasts all of the time. Even when not lactating or pregnant. The only possible reason for the second part is to attract a mate. In other words, to look pretty. The looking pretty part has over time become the primary function. And Americans now freak out at the sight of a breast. Crazy stuff.

Americans?

Having spent time in a Muslim majority country, they’re not putting themselves on display there, either.

Mothers nurse, use a wet nurse if unable, or, if they’re in the big cities & unable to nurse, buy formula.

And they don’t just pull ‘em out any & everywhere.

Why is it so many feel women in developing countries can’t make up their minds?

The services of fertility clinics are agressively promoted on billboards in the country I’ve visited.

Does that mean there are no households without children?

Of course not. I have faith women can make up their own minds when it comes to breast or bottle, too.

If anyone is offended, what is stopping them from looking away? It’s none of anybody’s business anyway. This was never a problem for the world until the Europeans arrived and told them it was. How many nursing mothers do you see in public in a year? One or two? Seriously, is that enough to get jacked up about? It’s not like 20 of them are following you home and having a breast fest on your lawn.

Here in New York, I see breastfeeding in public every so often. doesnt bother me in the least.

Allan

I’m still trying to figure out exactly what language/hurdles it is the administration was objecting to.

Without attempting to read the entire thread I’ll just ask if anyone knows what it is or has posted it?

You could read the link in the OP.

There’s nothing in the OP from the Administration on it.

What are the barriers and hurdles? Anything from the administration? Links?

The problem, simply put, is the resolution encourages breast feeding and the formula makers don’t like that. They want women buying their product, not breastfeeding. It is a multi-billion dollar industry, so they were more than willing to threaten and bully nations to try to stop the resolution.

What first person source did you glean that from? Link?

I don’t need a source.

That is just common ******* sense.

Billions of dollars at stake. Of course they are going to take the gloves off.

Hell, people have gotten shot for far less money.

Who are you and what did you do with the usually pretty reasonable Saf?

In this environment I’m way past believing anything from 2nd, and 3rd person writers who don’t provide anything to support their accusations.

There is parsing afoot.

I am just as reasonable as always. :smile:

I have worked for a multi-national corporation for years, I have lobbied, I have seen the money flow, I know the deal more than anybody else here.

Baby formula manufactures have put forward $60 million dollars in lobbying in recent years and over $4 million in direct campaign donations. They even contributed to Trump’s inauguration fund.

That money ain’t exactly free. They expect stuff in return, such as killing or at least neutering international resolutions. They weren’t able to completely kill this resolution in the end, but they were successful in neutering it.

There IS not other logical reason for the United States to have opposed this resolution. This resolution was medically and scientifically sound in every aspect.

But it would likely have slowed the growth of formula sales in overseas markets and formula makers were going to fight it with any means necessary.

Same thing as I have done in agricultural related endeavors.

No, you usually reject supposition in the absence of evidence.

No question there are big dollars at work and this administration has a protectionist bent that sometimes goes way over the top.

I’m just not buying the characterizations being made here absent some actual evidence to support them.

Here’s the story.

Ecuador wanted WHO resolution passed promoting breast feeding.

70,000,000,000 formula industry protested.

US threatened sanctions against Ecuador to back off.

Russia saves the day and gets the resolution passed.

Allan

It’s not characterizations but the truth.

The trump admin doesnt have a clue.

Allan

Then provide the quotes I asked for and a link to the source.

what kind of quotes do you want.

That they strongarmed Ecuador to stop the resolution.

what part of the truth about this are you not buying.

Allan