U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

This subject is a lot deeper then you are making it. Formula companies have a history of going into third world countries and push their products on the people. Babies get weaned onto it and then the people lack clean water to continue making it.
This regulation was targeting false advertising for the formula companies.

This, plus they found that the moms would use just enough powder to make the liquid turn white so the babies weren’t even getting the adequate nutrition from the formula.

My S is adopted so I had no choice 24 years ago but to use formula. I also didn’t use the powder but the more expensive stuff. Now, I’d probably buy breast milk.

I should note that it is possible for adoptive mothers to breast feed. The breasts can be stimulated into lactation and there are hormones available to assist with that process.

Going back to the main topic.

This is not about babies or doing the right thing.

It is all about protecting revenue streams.

2 Likes

As it should be. Capitalism wouldn’t be Capitalism without exploitation. We do worship the almighty dollar, after all.

Yup

Trump supporters who are middle class, lower middle class and poor are gonna take out on the chin. Along with all other people in those classes.

As the EPA rolls back regulations the South is especially susceptible. It’s like people didn’t actually realize that people like Trump don’t care about kids getting cancer in a decade.

Finally they will be paying their fair share. Trump supporters knew they were going to have to contribute more to Make America Great Again. That’s what makes them so commendable. Libs don’t want to contribute, and that’s what’s hurting America.

Pseudo-science. Cancer is caused by not praying enough. The South will be fine.

And don’t start with that nonsense about Democrats caring about kids. Only Republicans care about kids. That’s why Trump is reunited so many kids back with their parents. You didn’t see that happening with Obama.

1 Like

It’s extremely difficult and baby usually needs to have supplemental formula.

It’s for the mother more than the baby, imo.

Most women my age now (61) were formula fed and we generally turned out ok. To breast feed or not should be the choice of the mother, imo. Not all women want to breast feed and that is fine if it is their choice. Moms who adopt should also not be made to feel badly if they choose to not go through the process needed to breast feed. I know I would not have done that.

1 Like

Somebody tell Trump that when mothers breast feed they tend to loss the pregnancy weight a bit faster. He’d probably like that.

The choice should be the mother’s and at no time was I denying that.

However.

That being said.

Breast feeding is by far the best option, both for the mother and the baby. While most children turn out fine with formula, lots of issues, such as colic and other fussiness and upsets occur with formula. My own children were exclusively breast fed and my wife took whatever steps she needed to do so.

It is clearly better for the baby and breast feeding accelerates the loss of pregnancy weight and the reduction of the size of the uterus following birth, so the mother benefits substantially as well.

I am well aware that it is not always possible to do so, but I think mother’s that can do so, should do so. It is their choice, but it undoubtedly is the better choice.

Certain medications, health conditions. Do you really want a woman whose everything from taking certain MS drugs to HIV+ to nurse? Or to pump it into a bottle for dad?

I’m all for breastfeeding—for those who can & want to do it. But I don’t think formula is such an awful thing for those who can’t or don’t want to nurse.

And I’m still in the dark as to why any government should encourage one or the other. Let those who can’t or won’t nurse come up with an alternative, like a wet nurse in poorer countries or formula.

I’m laughing at your continued disgust for the “south”. It really is distasteful.

Right now cities like Worcester, Massachusetts are experiencing rent increases, a sort of gentrification, forcing those who can’t afford those rent increases further out in the sticks to towns like Whitinsville & Southbridge, making for longer commutes to some of the residents’ jobs.

Hustlers & scammers who get turned down for various public assistance programs come up here, & if northerners are so much better off financially, why are so many qualifying for programs like Medicaid?

Poverty & racism aren’t confined to one part of the country.

People in developing countries can’t make up their own minds to nurse or not? Someone is forcing them at the butt of a rifle to buy formula?

Sorry but I’m not buying that. The husband is from a developing country & mothers nurse, buy “lait en poudre”, formula, if they live in the cities, use a wet nurse if they live in the sticks.

I just don’t buy all the arguments against everything from major corporations to “Big Pharma”. They can hawk their products, but potential customers are free to refuse them.

“There are also milk banks”.

Do these so called milk banks have any way of screening for various toxins & health problems no baby should have? Do the moms know who the donor is?

In Muslim majority countries, when a mom can’t nurse, she doesn’t visit a “bank”, but uses a wet nurse who is known to her. That baby is considered a relationship of the wer nurse & any children of hers can’t marry that child when he or she is an adult.

They are not “so called milk banks” but honest to goodness milk banks.

Have you ever heard of a baby dying or getting sick from mothers milk.

If so its a rare case and the exception proves the rule.

good lord so much misinformation about breast feeding. which is just tremendous boost for a newborn.

Allan

Have I ever heard of complications from mothers’ milk? Run a search on conditions where the mother should not breast feed.

There’s a laundry list of them, & some are more common in certain parts of the world—for example HIV in various African countries & Hepatitis B infections in particular in China.

I’m a supporter of nursing, and definitely not a supporter of any government effort to encourage it, in this manner—a mother wants to do it and can—can’t sometimes means baby won’t latch on or mom isn’t producing enough milk—well, great.

If there’s some reason she won’t, can’t or shouldn’t nurse,well, let her come up with her own solution, from a known wet nurse to formula.

Quite frankly I find the encouragement of breastfeeding in the U S, to the point kids are 2 & 3 years old & still on the breast to be downright creepy. And you never answered my question as to whether or not donors to these milk banks are screened for the presence of various exposures to infectious diseases as blood donors are.

The appropriate age for weaning is 1. solid foods should be introduced to the infant at 6 months and the weaning process should begin and be finished at 1 or so. depending on the infant progress.

Allan

Here is the screening process:

http://www.nationalmilkbank.org/index.php/donor/screening-process

Allan

One is a far more reasonable age. IIRC mushy cereal is introduced around three months, followed by fruits like bananas, then meats & vegetables.

Janet, here is the problem that you are not addressing.

Formula companies have been aggressively hawking their products in developing countries where the women can ill-afford to be spending money on a product that actually is less healthy than the mother’s milk. I’m not sure what a solution is as companies want to promote their product.

I doubt anyone’s disagrees with you that for many women, formula is a fine choice.

1 Like