Two hour barrier broken for a marathon

Then the barrier (if that term is appropriate to use in sports) should have been set at 1 hr, 56 minutes and some odd seconds, not 2 hrs. And of course men would still strive to prove the physiologist wrong.

Thatā€™s called a goal, not a barrier. And now that it has been shown to be possible, more will follow ā€¦ just like occurred with the so-called 4-minute mile ā€œbarrier.ā€

Barriers are overcome all the time, they arenā€™t insurmountable. But I agree that ā€œbarrierā€ isnā€™t the best choice of words in this case. Something like ā€œmilestoneā€ is probably better.

I think you are parsing the term barrier way too much. In sports we would call an under 2hr marathon a barrier.

However, you are taking the literal definition and stating that a barrier does not move, therefore breaking a 2 hr marathon isnā€™t breaking a barrier. The line just moves further down.

I get what it is you are saying but not sure itā€™s necessary when it comes to sport terminology

Did you read my first post in this thread (#4)? Itā€™s not me who is making too much of it, Iā€™m simply defending the statement. A ā€œbarrierā€ that moves every time it is reached is not a barrier, itā€™s a goal.

why would pace runners matter.
its still an under 2 hour marathon

In this case, it is a record (even if unofficial)

People can use whatever terms they want to describe this runnerā€™s achievement. Your posts come across as downplaying what he did.

I donā€™t see how you arrived at that conclusion. I didnā€™t say anything at all about his performance. That speaks for itself

Thereā€™s an incredible Choiceology podcast episode on Roger Bannister, the 4 minute mile, and the power of round numbers as motivational tools. Highly recommend it (the entire podcast series is solid too).