Turkey the red headed step child

I don’t know if it’s posturing or not, he didn’t seem to have a problem helping ISIS against the Kurds. It wasn’t long ago his army was parked on the border of Syria not allowing the people from Kobani to cross into Turkey as ISIS was advancing on them. His past as a leader is dubious at best.

This is the funniest post I’ve read here in a pretty long time.

That’s definitely what he’s saying. Definitely.

1 Like

Here we go…

NATO should classify not only the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) but also the Syrian Defense Forces (SDF) and the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) in the alliance’s list of threats.

The United States should then extradite Pennsylvania-based dissident cleric Fethullah Gülen to Turkey.

All NATO members, including Sweden and Finland, must cease any activity by the PKK, SDF, or FETO on their territories.

The United States and other NATO bodies must lift all sanctions related to Turkey’s purchase of the S-400, including sanctions upon the Turkish Defense Industry Directorate.

Turkey would not only receive the new F-16s and upgrade kits for its existing fleet, but Turkey will also be able to rejoin the F-35 program from which it was expelled after activating the Russian S-400s.

Lastly, the United States would cease preventing Turkey from exporting military products containing Western components.

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/erdogan-issues-his-demands-to-nato/

NATO cannot afford to lose Turkey. Turkey has the largest NATO army in Europe. They also have control of access to and from the Black Sea.

I would not be surprised if Turkey stands firm on its demands. They know they are in a very strong negotiating position.

Ya we won’t lose Turkey- even with an ■■■■■■■ like Erdogan. Apparently inflation is nearing 100 percent and the dude needs a winning election campaign fight.

The West could do an end run by creating an alternate security agreement with Finland/Sweden (already happening with Nordic countries, UK and USA) but likely will give Erdogan some goodies in exchange for Finland/Sweden joining while he slowplays this for maximum effect. (Next election is June 2023).

They should be booted out of NATO or not let in for occupying a EU country Cyprus. And that’s before we get into their behavior during their behavior during the ISIS days.

There isn’t really a process for booting a country out but nah- Turkey has a modern military and is a really important linchpin in NATO even with all its problems. Maybe they’ll elect someone whos not a total ■■■■■■■■■

pkk… yes, we should do that. not sure on the other two, although anyone with “terrorist” as part of their name is likely a yes,

no

pkk? sure, no problem

we’ll need something else for that

f16… okay, f35… we can talk about it

hell ■■■■■■■ no

ISIL

ReSpEcT mAh aCRonYms!

3 Likes

Yes, that would be the logical response if US foreign policy were consistent, but foreign policy is rarely consistent. Greece and Turkey almost went to war in 1974. President Nixon tilted towards Turkey during the conflict. Turkey bordered the Soviet Union and was key ally. It has been much more important that Greece US security.

I expect similar things will happy now even as Joe “Bidenopoulos” makes a big show about the Greek PM:

https://greekcitytimes.com/2022/05/17/joe-biden-greek-tie-bidenopoulos/

1 Like

Yeah there can be some haggling and concessions and eventually Finland and Sweden will be in. But Erdogan might push this all the way through next year to bolster his standing for election purposes. We’ll see.

I’m so stealing that.

I’m also not paying you any royalities. :wink:

2 Likes