Trump will only be a single term president

Just to be clear: you think Donald will be primaried in 2020, and he’ll lose the GOP nomination?

It was based on the slaughter Obama took in the house and senate in the mid terms.

Obama lost far more than Trump did in the midterms.

Just 28% of Republicans have confidence that the President will do the right thing. This is down from 34% the year before. The President’s numbers are falling noticeably among Republicans.

Granted, these are Republican approval numbers for the President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, but they trendline mirrors pretty well how the President of the USA is doing.

Does anyone here think independents and moderate republicans are going to be excited, or even passively motivated to vote for Trump?

If anything, the story will switch in 2020. There were dems who held out because of Clinton in 2016, and there will be republicans who hold out in 2020 because of Trump. I don’t see Trump capturing lightening in a bottle twice.

Unlikely.

He has two moves: introduce chaos and lather up the base.

That’s it. It is his entire governing ability. The lightning he captured in 2016 was those few 10s of thousands of votes to pick up a few states.

As President, he’s the first in Gallup history to never crack 50% approval in his first 6 months. He’s the first to never crack 50% in his first two years. He’s unpopular and he has zero game available to him to address that.

The Republican party today is nothing more than a bunch of losers with empty bank accounts slapping each other on the back about waht a great guy Bernie Madoff is.

I hate to say this, but I doubt it. He’ll be a 2 term president because Americans are not mad enough to stand against him.

Depends on what candidate the democratic party nominates to scare them to the voting booth. If a far leftist gets nominated they will run to the booths.

I definitely agree.

I believe her first 4 reasons are why he will be re-elected.

Mueller is seen as a witch hunt by those who would reelect him
He hasn’t failed his base. Quite the opposite is true.
His foreign policy is only scary to those who don’t like him, such as Jennifer Rubin
In regards to chaos, he is upsetting the applecart and shaking things up. Exactly why he was elected and why he will be reelected.

1 Like

How exactly does not expanding his base help Trump get re elected?

Please clarify???

The long and the short of it is that he thinks everyone who voted for Trump is going to vote for him again and that’ll be enough.

Two problems. Not a guarantee that everyone who voted for him will do so again, far from it. Second, turn out is going to be higher against him.

2 Likes

In his first two years as President, Trump has not expanded his voter base. If anything, it’s shrunk. It’s hard to win elections like that. It’s not impossible, sure, but Trump isn’t exactly bringing new voters over to his side.

I don’t see Trump winning any state that he didn’t win last time. So the Dems need to nominate someone who can win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

But weren’t similar arguments made while trumpeting Trump had zero chance of ever becoming president?

I don’t think so. If anything, before the 2016 election, the extent of his base was drastically undercounted. And since then he hasn’t expanded on his base. Again, if anything he’s done more to alienate himself from potential voters than bring them to his side.

Are you implying that Trump voters were well understood in 2016 and that his victory was widely predicted?

I’m saying the exact opposite. Pollsters and political types had no idea about the extent of Trump’s voter support. But now, they do. We know Trump’s base. And it’s not getting larger.

So now they have Trump support all figured out. Whatever you say! :rofl:

I mean, no … not entirely. Trump will always be a political outlier. But we do know who Trump’s base is. We know who voted for him. We know where his support comes from. And AGAIN, Trump is not bringing in new voters. Sure, he can win again, but it’s gonna be substantially harder. Do you think even more Trump voters are gonna come out of the woodworks in 2020 who didn’t vote for him in 2016?