Trump Will Declare a National Emergency

Imagine if Obama pulled this stunt…

2 Likes

Yup- it would be crazy town for months. Imperial presidency! Tyrany! Unconstitutional!

Pretty amusing how far Trump has taken the GOP…

2 Likes

Not lawfully.

13224 was no different than literally dozens of EO’s issued under emergency declarations to block the transfer of funds of certain groups and individuals, in this case it was specifically to put a kink in the pipeline funding terrorist groups and particularly AQ.

Not sure where you are coming from with that one.

FDR’s actions were neither legal nor constitutional but with the sneak attack by the Japanese and how badly the war in the Pacific was going the courts which he’d already supplanted weren’t inclined to step in and put a stop to it.

Imagine the russia deal

This reminds me of the last quarter of a basketball game when a team is down by 20 and is acting desperately to try and pull out a win. We call it laugh ball- because it usually is really sloppy.

Why does the prez keep digging a deeper hole? Now he has to watch a number of republican senators vote against him and split his party over this. :tada:

Agreed. Dumpster Donnie is full of petulance and it drives his juvenile behavior.

Trump desperately wants to start tweeting about the out of control liberal interventionist judiciary who will stop his wall and are caught up in Trump Derangement Syndrome. But he’s got to walk through several news cycles about abusing his constitutional authority. Yee ha!

i can see it now.

WR,know to have a lot of now banned guns leaves his house
the feds search his house while he’s gone seizing his guns

meanwhile WR who is now in his truck has his truck pulled over. WR is arrested there without incident …

and that gets repeated all over the country

Hmmm yeah the reality is that any president trying to appropriate funds for policy objectives without running it by Congress is gonna get slapped down by the judiciary. Whether it’s climate change, guns, border security, etc- the reality is that it is an end run around Congress’ power of the purse.

Is there a legal definition for “emergency”?

Johnwk must be really busy coming up with thread defending this right now.

1 Like

Wheres yoda when you need him

I believe it’s just to tweak one of the most sensitive groups on this forum - the 2A zealots.

Health care would be the most noble and least risky imo. The 2nd ammendment people go a little too far sometimes

Its so ■■■■■■■ obvious. They tried obamacare repeal and tax cuts first. But not this emergency

1 Like

13224 put “a kink” in the pipeline? That’s a nice way of putting it. It allowed the government to label both foreigners and US citizens as “designated” simply if they were suspected of aiding terrorists. What happened if you were designated? You were no longer allowed to have a job, rent or buy property, or perform financial transactions. You’re much more trusting of the government than me if you think anyone even suspected of a crime should be subjected to that.

Google Garad Jama if you want to see what a “kink” due to 13324 looks like.

Your acknowledgment that what FDR did was illegal but still allowed to happen doesn’t give much solace.

I feel as if the gun fantasies are running absolutely amok in this thread. Trump has not actually declared the emergency and it has not been upheld in the courts but there are a lot of people deep in gun grabbing fantasies. Weird.

1 Like

You seem to think there’s a gun registry.

There isn’t.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/535441553079431168?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^535441553079431168&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2F2019%2F2%2F14%2F18225414%2Fnational-emergency-declaration-trump-tweet

3 Likes

According to the report, Trump paid for it himself.