Trump Will Declare a National Emergency

You know, you speak very authoritatively for someone who didn’t know how joint resolutions worked yesterday. Never admitted you were wrong did you?

3 Likes

So many people unaware this triggers a mandatory vote in the House and Senate that can’t be put off or delayed.

2 Likes

Talk about squeezing McConnell- there will be a handful of republican senators who will vote against this- maybe 5-7 but nowhere near enough for veto proof majority. So we get to see a ton of republican senators openly supporting an imperial presidency. This worked out well for them.

Higher than that. 10 or so Republicans vote against.

this is gonna be glorious.

I’m fairly sure it’s just a majority vote.

uh. now that Trump doing the end around i’d say Dems will do the same with the gun violence national emergency.

You are correct… They will need 2/3 though to override an almost certain veto by Trump.

Hmmm maybe. Mitch won’t let it get to 66 votes against tho.

How…explain how will that scenario play out?

I agree.

Oh no doubt about that, but he can’t stop four from crossing the line, so a majority of the senate is voting against a national emergency. Since that optic is gone, less than fifteen are free to vote against with the okay defense of “I support the President but not this method.”. Because it wont change the out come.g

He isn’t appropriating anything, they claw back unspent funds from shut down programs, over funded programs, and those that come in under budget.

This is especially easy with DOD and LEO funds.

Why is there so much certainty that the Democrats, were they to chose to imitate Trump’s emergency, would make it about gun control? Why not climate change, health care, the environment, or the minimum wage. Why all the focus on gun control.

And of course all this assumes that Trump emergency gets declared (it hasn’t yet), survives Congressional challenge, survives court challenge and that Trump is selected as a President for Democrats to emulate.

Its both. I don’t know where you were the last two years but maybe try googling “border crisis detention”, “border unaccompanied minors”, and “Border families”.

The rush of particularly families, and the term is being used rather loosely along has overwhelmed the entire system and there’s another couple of thousand on the way right now and no where to put them.

Whether or not you override, it places a group of Republicans in a position of angering the President and his base or voting to support policies (wall and national emergency) that have little support in the country as a whole outside of the President’s base.

If I were a Democratic strategist I would be ordering an extra bottle of champagne tonight since Donald Trump has totally taken the spotlight off the several Democratic controversies and stumbles of the past few weeks and placed several vulnerable Republican Senators in an untenable situation.

Petulance mostly.

I imagine many purple state senators who are facing re-election in 2020 will vote against the emergency declaration, along with a few like Rand Paul and Marco Rubio who are trying to look consistent.

It’ll be interesting to see how a few senators vote- particularly Romney…that dude would love nothing better than to see Trumps presidency collapse.

Romney shoots across the bow…

“I will reserve judgment on any potential executive action by the president until I am able to fully evaluate it, but as I’ve said, I do not believe declaring a national emergency is the right approach,” Romney said in a statement. “I would also expect the president to stay within statutory and constitutional limits.”