Trump want middle eastern countries to join NATO

what could go wrong with countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iraq, and Afghanistan in a mutual defense agreement.

endless war is good for business.

President Trump called for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to boost its role in the Middle East, in what would be a shift in the alliance’s mission, even suggesting a rebranding of the 71-year-old alliance.

“NATO, right, and then you have me, Middle East,” the president said at the White House on Thursday. “NATO-ME. What a beautiful name. I think NATO should be expanded and we should include the Middle East. Absolutely.”

Unable to verify if your link actually says what you claim because it is behind paywall.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he supported expanding the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to include Middle Eastern nations, as the United States seeks to limit its troop footprint globally.

“I think that NATO should be expanded and we should include the Middle East, absolutely,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

Pompeo talked about wanting NATO to have an expanded role against ISIS. That makes sense if you can get it. Actually having Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt into NATO.
Must be a joke.

Thanks

Loys of ethnic groups and religious factions in the Middle East, many with old scores to settle.
Could get ugly, I don’t see NATO getting anything accomplished except a lot of people getting hurt or worse.

Locker room talk.
Seriously not literally.
Both sides!

3 Likes

I have a better idea. Kick Turkey OUT of NATO.

I have an even much better idea. Kick OURSELVES out of NATO.

I am willing to have a mutual defense agreement with Canada, not beyond.

2 Likes

Having middle eastern countries join NATO is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

3 Likes

Not a fan of Trump* and his coining of the new term NATOME? How about USMCA? It sounds like YMCA after all!

*3rd Impeached President of the United States

2 Likes

Surely if Mexico ever squares themselves away…

1 Like

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Middle East.

Makes about as much sense as an orange colored geriatric.

2 Likes

In 1945, there was a real threat of the Soviet Union invading western Europe. And strategic reasons why that was worth keeping troops over there (plus the Marshall Plan).

Have those reasons for the existence of NATO changed enough to abandon it?

I know that the role of NATO has expanded, but would it be wiser to shrink current NATO’s mission back to the original or would it be wiser to give up on that alliance.

If you can’t trust them, you don’t want to depend on them in a time of war…period.

The Jordanians are a perfect example of why the Middle East has no place in NATO.

Maybe Australia can join as well. After all we compete in Eurovision now.

Mexico[quote=“Safiel, post:8, topic:225421, full:true”]
I have a better idea. Kick Turkey OUT of NATO.

I have an even much better idea. Kick OURSELVES out of NATO.

I am willing to have a mutual defense agreement with Canada, not beyond.
[/quote]

Mexico, absolutely. Immigration issues or not, they are a critical trading partner.

How would that create a threat of endless war exactly? The threat of overwhelming military might crushing your country completely is a great deterrent.

Internal squabbles or squabbles between NATO members do not trigger the mutual defense pact.

NATOME is a mindboggling horrible idea

Hey, if the clown shoes fit, wear 'em.

1 Like