Trump veto bill to end armsales to war criminals

Trump has vetoed three bipartisan bill to end the sales of arm to war criminal Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia are not only war criminal but also one of the largest supporters of terrorism in the world.

President Donald Trump has vetoed three joint resolutions prohibiting arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the White House announced Wednesday, rejecting an attempt by congressional lawmakers to halt the controversial weapons transfers.

In messages to the Senate, Trump announced he was returning the bipartisan bills that would have blocked licensing for certain arms sales in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the UK, France, Spain and Italy.

“Apart from negatively affecting our bilateral relationships with Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Italy, the joint resolution would hamper the ability of the United States to sustain and shape critical security cooperation activities,” Trump said in one of the messages.

1 Like

In all fairness, Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I and Reagan will have all vetoed the bill as well.

The executive branch ain’t about to give up its power to make cozy little arms deals with whoever we like and the United States has a long history of consorting with some of the worst bastards.

Realpolitik in action. We are exceedingly short on allies in the region, and as such have to accept getting into bed with some unsavory nations for practical concerns.

Trump is a buffoon and an ass, but the Senate bill is pointless posturing.

Please refresh my memory on when and where Saudi Arabia was convicted of war crimes, and what war. Please and thank you.

1 Like

The current war, its pretty well documented that they are using child soldiers, which is a war crime.

Al Jazeera has obtained exclusive footage that proves the presence of child soldiers in the recruitment camps of the Saudi-UAE-led coalition fighting in Yemen.

The children, desperately poor, are being recruited to fight along the Saudi border to defend it from the Houthis, a rebel group that overran the capital, Sanaa, and large swaths of Yemen’s northwest in 2014.

In 2015, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) formed a coalition to overthrow the Houthis - plunging Yemen into a ruinous war - supported by forces loyal to the country’s internationally recognised government.

I even posted this news when it broke, didn’t get many replies or attention in the U.S media.

2 Likes

So they havn’t been convicted in any court then correct? Has charges been filed in any court?

so your just going to deny this isn’t happening, its only a war crime if we have a show trial with glitter and unicorns.

5 Likes

You should call them ALLEGED war criminals. Until they are tried that’s what it is.

you and me both know they are never going to be tried for this, this is just one of the FEW criminal act they have committed during this war… I’m personal disgusted that my country support them.

2 Likes

Then they will only be alleged war criminals.

Seems like this is the same as some being OK working with alleged adulterers, alleged conspirators and other allegations. Why not alleged war criminals? Who cares what facts or history say, as long as there isn’t a court ruling. That’s quite the easy out.

Unfortunately this is the way it is until such time as Saudi Arabia no longer provides a significant percentage of the world’s oil.

This bill has been vetoed many times by many Presidents. It’s not unique to Trump.

I am not 100 percent sure about that. Before the slaughter of Khasshoggi, yes. But after? Maybe not so much.

Now would be the time for Congress to show the country where the true power lies and override the veto.

I guess ISIS isn’t guilty of war crimes, neither was Stalin, or the LRA since they arnt convicted yet

Weak.

1 Like

Good people on both sides!