Trump to sign order to interpret Judaism as a nationality

This doesn’t make sense to me. People convert to Judaism. It’s a religion practiced by people of different races and ethnicities around the world.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/OhNoSheTwitnt/status/1204781191871647744?s=20

1 Like

Self identifying is one thing- Trump identifying is quite another thing.

1 Like

Right. I was born in the USA. I converted to Judaism almost 40 years ago. So now my nationality is Jewish??? W. T. Actual. F. Senseless pandering.

2 Likes

It’s tough to explain. I tried it in a post above. It really is a cultural self-identification thing.

3 Likes

I agree. I stated above that i am not arguign the merits of the exec order :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW, I will be surprised if this actually happens.

You are not wrong. and that is a bigger debate.
But the EO isnt saying American Jews are a Ethnicity, its saying Nationality. There is a difference.
Ethnicity ties people by cultural or religion. Im ok with that.
Nationality ties people together to the political state of that Nation.
And what Nation is that? I am assuming Israel? Going back 200 years on one side of my family and 85 years on other I cant find anyone from Israel. So why would my “Nationality” be ANYTHING other then American?

Yes I agree. The EO be dumb.

1 Like

THis is what I mean everyone

My father was an Ashkenazi Jew whose family came from Russia. My mother was a Lutheran whose family came from Belgium, and she converted to Judaism when I was very young. But you’re suggesting that our family shares a common nationality (beyond the United States) and ethnicity because of the religion we chose?

Really?? My genetic road winds through England and Germany. I was born a 4th generation American. Why is my ethnicity and nationality arguably Jewish? I’d like an answer, please.

What’s Ashkenazi if not an ethic identifier. It identifies Jews from Eastern Europe

Sure, but that only applies to my dad. What about me and my mom? Are we ethnically and nationally Jewish?

You are not necessarily if you do not choose to identify as such. You are however genetically in part an Ashkenazi Jew. That’s a genetic trait.

I don’t know if you are married or if you have kids but give your dad being an Ashkenazi jew, you may have to get tested for Tae Sachs. That’s not because you follow Judaism as a religion.

That is genetics. From a company that once showed identical twins to have completely different genetic history. Your contribution is not valid at all.

Yes it is genetics. Genetics identifies ethnic varriation among other things. Tae Sachs is a specific illness identified in Ashkenazi Jews.

I am not sure where this conversation got lost in the weeds.

Do we base laws on self-identi… never mind.

1 Like

Yay four jews arguing between each other what being Jewish really means :slight_smile: A millennia long argument.

1 Like

Now I’m bored.