Trump to impose tariffs on Mexico

Just announced… thoughts?

My thoughts are that it is another asinine attempt to trick gullible white conservatives into thinking he cares one iota about them. He needs a distraction from the bad press he is getting, so why not go back to an old favorite, regardless of how destructive it may be?

Does anyone really think further depressing the economies of nations like Mexico is the way to stop desperate people from coming here in search of a better life? Or that it makes sense to punish Mexico because people from another nations travel through their country in an attempt to cross our border?

4 Likes

“Just announced…thoughts?” sounds like what Trump told his cabinet after tweeting out the policy.

2 Likes

He’s deflecting from Mueller saying he is a criminal.

2 Likes

Good for him! That will surely get Mexico’s attention, as they are in the best position to stop the madness at our Southern border.

1 Like

More stupid, to satisfy the stupid.

5 Likes

Great move. But, of course, more outrage by Democrats when Trump does anything to enforce our immigration laws and defend our border.

Predictable Trump hating response.

1 Like

More taxes on American consumers. When did wingers become so pro-tax on the middle class?

2 Likes

Of course Democrats are outraged. We have seen in another thread where they want more illegals in order to skew Congressional districts in their favor.

Is this part of Mexico paying for the wall?

2 Likes

Donald is the Oprah of presidents.

“A tariff for you! And a tariff for you! A tariff for everyone!”

4 Likes

Wait, how does this “hurt” Mexico? I honestly don’t understand this, and I’m not being snarky. Importers pay the tariffs and pass them on to the consumer. The US gets a lot of produce from Mexico, so we can expect to pay more. Seem to me that Mexico isn’t even involved in the process.

We’re going to make so much money from these tariffs.

GDI going negative in Q3. Bets?

2 Likes

This is a masterful move by President Trump. Mexico knows that without U.S. markets Mexico is going to suffer like never before. They will be practically begging us to pay for a wall on their northern border. Migrants from Central America should be deterred from reaching America by any means neccessary. If we put the pressure on Mexico they will figure out a way to stop those asylum seekers from reaching America.

1 Like

It doesn’t. It hurts US consumers.

This just seems like Trump wanting to do something. He doesn’t describe tariffs well and people question if he even knows what they are. He’s trying to get a new trade deal through and how do tariffs across everything coming from the Mexican border work with that? And he’s trying to pressure Congress with some dumb time clock to pass said trade deal. He’s a mess.

1 Like

An additional tax on the low and middle class!! Yay!

I mean, holy ■■■■■ those inverted yield curves. If the “crisis” isn’t “fixed”, tariffs will raise to 25% in October.

And pence said today that tariffs could almost double on China if needed.

They are truly trying to tank the economy.

1 Like