Trump threatens china with 200B in new tarrifs

And I notice that I am having an exceedingly difficult time finding that interview where Trump said this, where before the election it was easy to find (knew I should have saved the link).

It’s almost as if FoxNews has scrubbed it…

People are going to be shocked at the result when America First becomes America Alone.

We cannot replicate the 1950s because the rest of the world isn’t still recovering from being blown to pieces in World War II.

But we’re sure as hell going to try…

To the ignorant Forgotten Man will cheer for this new world order. You can’t teach stupid.

it looks like trumps threats may have cost west virgina 80B in investment from china energy

trump won WV by a huge margin. This will directly affect the wallets of trump voters in a big way

China Energy Development’s announcement last November it was willing to invest $83.7 billion over two decades in the “Mountain State” has been placed on hold, Brian Anderson, director of the West Virginia University Energy Institute, said Monday.

Speaking at the Third Annual Northeast Petrchemical Construction Conference in Pittsburgh, Anderson said executives with the Chinese company were slated to attend the conference, with the first project using the company’s pledged investment, to be announced.

“Nothing has been announced yet, and the investment by China Energy has been put in jeopardy due to the U.S.-China trade war,” Anderson told his audience.

China has more to lose than “we” do. They have to come around to our way of thinking and they have no choice. It’s our way or no way. Their economy depends on doing business with the US…period.

Do you prefer we continue to exploit foreign labor?

If Manchin’s campaign team was smart they would run adds on this.

soybean futures plunged to a 2 year low on trumps trade war with china,down 15% this quarter

Keep riding that delusion.

They are quickly diversifying and investing in other countries.

Trump went about putting economic leverage on China in the absolute worst possible way… by pissing off all of our allies at the same time.

Now Working with China and isolating the US doesn’t look so bad to them.

I don’t totally disagree but…something had to be done and the sooner, the better. Trump chose now and I applaud him for it. China must come to the negotiating table and “we” will end up in a better place economically.

China has a huge untapped domestic market and is quietly going about building its influence network via the “Belt” strategy.

I wouldn’t count on them simply knuckling under to the US. They’re actively preparing to extract themselves from that mutual death grip.

china could do a few things besides adding more tarrifs

they could devalue the yuan,making chinese exports cheaper
they could dump us bonds,sending interest rates higher
they could drop sanctions on north korea

We will be lucky if we get back to zero with the clown show that is going on in the White House.

You don’t “totally disagree”? What part do you actually agree on?

Yes- there were issues with China regarding trade. Everyone agrees with that.

So of course Trump slapped tariffs on Canada, which made absolutely zero sense.

I’d have more confidence in Trump’s “tough love approach” if it wasn’t his go-to strategy for dealing with EVERY country…including those we need, even if Trump doesn’t want to believe we do.

This is the real rub here too. Trump will never, ever admit wrong. Ever. So he will dig in, double-down, triple-down, quadruple-down. All because of his fragile ego. China will as well, as they don’t care about their people and have the long game in mind anyway. Xi will wait out Trump, even if it means his populace suffers more than they already are. Trump is temporary in their mind. It is the way their culture has always been. They are looking decades out, some even centuries.

If we stay this course, everyone needs to buckle up, because we are in for a bumpy ride.

Awesome! We are driving key allies into the arms of enemies. Winning, I guess?

Yep. This is how you destroy the US economy. Again.

This way of thinking presumes that the ruling class in China has the same level of concern for their citizenry as our leadership does. While it is apparent Trump does not seem to understand the pain he is inflicting, and getting ready to inflict on American consumers and businesses, the Chinese literally do not care about the suffering of their people. Trump is a temporary obstacle for them, and they will wait him out, even if it means their people suffer. All the while, we will suffer as well.

It really is. And the shame is that there are serious trade issues that need to be, and should be addressed, as it relates to China. But taking the tit-for-tat approach of tariffs, especially when the same is being done to many of our allies, is the absolute worst approach to possibly take.