Trump tax cut turns out to be another Trump lie

Don’t play coy.

What usually happens when business cut 5% of discretionary spending?

The idea that we can cut our way to economic growth has been proved wrong again and again.

Yet true believers won’t let go of this idea.

There are cuts at the business, and it depends on what the managers/budget person/owners feel they can safely cut and keep their business operating

Show me a business that is trying to cut its way back to viability…and I’ll show you a business that is dying.

1 Like

And let’s ignore the 8 years of Obama that TOTALLY SET THE TABLE for Trump’s usual coat-tail riding.

ALL of those metrics were headed in EXACTLY that direction after 8 years of Obama, who had to clean up yet another republican economic disaster.

This isn’t cutting as a way back to viability . . . . this is cutting back to stop the debt from growing.

Do you think the budget should be cut or not?

I don’t believe in setting arbitrary targets is the best way to approach rationalizing govenment.

I think a rational rethink of what the government should and should not be involved in is in order.

I think holding the idea that government debt is inherently “bad” and therefore we must “stop it” betrays an ignorance of fiscal matters.

Indeed it creates a blindness that makes a rational discussion on what government should and should not be involved in impossible.

Fiscal debt is neither inherently bad nor good. To start with a false premise pretty much dooms whatever flows from that false premise.

That is how the 2018 wildfire season is treating Utah lawmakers, who are being asked to come up nearly $20 million more in spending to cover costs for the worst wildfire season the state has witnessed.

The state of Utah exceeded it’s wildfire budget by 20 million this last summer.

Cottam said the Dollar Ridge Fire in Duchesne County charred through 400 structures, including close to 100 homes.

What is the cost to the 100 family that lost their homes? How about the costs to the owners of the other 300 structures?

Total costs for fighting fires in Utah this year (Federal/State/Local):

When you add in other agency firefighting costs, including the federal government, the costs of the Utah wildfire season in 2018 topped $150 million, he added.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46484308/record-breaking-fire-season-singes-utahs-budget

That doesn’t include the cost of officers that had to close down major state highways for days at a time.

Sorry, I personally think every department/agency can find 5% in savings in a fairly quick and easy fashion.

That would be a good step

How high do you think the federal debt can go before issues start to make is unsustainable? No way we can tax our way out of it. And if many dems get their way (universal healthcare, free schooling, free this, free that) the deficit and debt will HAVE to go a lot higher.

Yes you are correct. I was taking 5% of the deficit not the budget which isn’t correct

However, cutting 5% from government spending will reduce GDP by 5%. Add in a multiplier effect and you could send us into negative 7-8% GDP. Government spending doesnt go into a vacuum. Which is why during 2009 it would have been very dangerous to balance the budget.

So your proposal would be to hit taxpaers up for the addition 1 trillion dollars?

I don’t know.

How high could it go? How do you measure “high” v “not high”?

Republicans and conservatives have backed themselves into a corner with these tax cuts. Increasing the deficit to keep more money in your bank accounts; you can no longer call yourselves “fiscally conservative”

Im saying cuts need to be gradual so that we dont put the economy into a deep recession. You cant just pull $1trillion out of the economy. There will be a lot of structural unemployment. Balancing the budget wont increase consumer spending. You cant say tax payers would be catching a break because you are using current revenues to do the balancing math.

No, he cut taxes an people love it… See his rising approval numbers…

1 Like

It’s almost as if people don’t understand changes to the federal budget have dynamic effects…on the spending side as well as the taxation side.

1 Like

And yet, all around me people with children, mortgages and home equity lines are saying their refunds are smaller this year. Weird, that.

Smaller refunds does not equal a higher effective tax rate.

You can hand-wave it away, but people in that situation are literally getting less take home money and they’re not happy about it.

Not if they got more take-home money in their checks during the course of the year.

At the end of the day, end of year refunds tell me nothing about whether someone paid more or less in their total taxes.

Less sloppy reporting might teach us something about the real effect of the Trump tax cuts.

Instead the media is complicit, though shoddy reporting, of keeping the public ignorant.

Okay. They didn’t. If you make the median household income you got about two bucks added to your income weekly. That’s like a hundred bucks annually and I’m being generous with two bucks.