Trump sues in bid to block congressional subpoena of financial records

Law is not based on what you believe will happen… They have the legal authority to disclose it to the American people using the process outlined in the house rules…

Good luck before the court. I dont see that happening.

You keep saying that, isnt going to make it true.

1 Like

I would wager a signature block, but I dont know how to add them so I guess it would be difficult.

I read something yesterday where a DC judge provided Trumps with an injunction in complying with Congresses subpoena until the case is heard on 6 May. So the Judge must think the case has some merit. Also Mnuchin said as much in his letter. He is waiting to see how this plays out before the Court. And the Dems gave in and adjusted their time line based on the court date.

So evidently it is not as clear cut as you seem to think it is.

You are confusing two different cases… Trump is suing to prevent his accounting firm from complying with the subpoena, Mnuchin has nothing to do with that case. The committee agreed to not enforce the subpoena until the federal judge rules on a preliminary injunction on May 6th. That doesn’t indicate one way or another the judges opinion on the matter, they have not heard any arguments.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/04/23/us/politics/23reuters-usa-trump-taxes-order.html

Congress issues subpoenas for this kind of information on a regular basis. There is nothing unusual about this request other than whose financial information is being sought.

This forum doesn’t support signature blocks. A better wager would be for control of the other’s avatar.

Is this the statement by Mnuchin you are talking about?

“I’m not going to make a commitment prematurely as to whether we will be able to conclude our legal review within that deadline or not,” said Mnuchin when asked by CNN. “Obviously, given the importance of this issue we have people working on this diligently. But again I would emphasize this is a decision that has enormous precedence in potentially weaponizing the IRS.”

P.S…I have found the letter in another post. Still, I like the statement by Mnuchin above. It is very concise.

Lol…I dont know how to do that either!

Haha. Your current avatar shows that you’re speaking the truth.

Click on your picture (your K) at the top/right of the screen. Click the cog wheel that says “preferences.” Scroll down to where it says “Profile picture” and click the pencil to edit. You’ll have to upload a picture from your computer. Hopefully you know how to get one you like and find where it is on your computer.

I totally agree with what you posted, but I liked the whole letter. I like how he laid out the dem purpose for the request had nothing to do with oversight and everything to do with embarrassing a president.

Finally, I really dont care one way or the other about Trump. I care about fair and impartial treatment under the law. I do not want ANY politician to be able to get the actual IRS filing of any citizen without due process.

Reports that are generated covering statistics of millions of people are absolutely fine with me. Getting the individual return without due process is wrong.

1 Like

Thanks @calirepub! I will try to find some avatars!

1 Like

They just want to hide the president’s tax returns because they know he’s dirty as sin and is probably being influenced by foreign entities.

Transparency and checks/balances left the building with the Tea Party.

GOP 2020

While a nice sentiment, notice how he is not arguing the law?

Irrelevant… Does the law authorize this request?

Great…If this is so normal, and they issue these subpoenas on a regular basis, can you name any other individual that congress has received their individual tax return solely? Not a report mind you, just the name of one individual, who congress went to the IRS and said, “we would like this one guy’s tax filing…not a report mind you, just his individual filing with all attachments, and we only want it on him, not part of any other group”. Can you find the name of anyone else under this scenario?

It should be easy for you if this is such a regular occurrence.

See you in court…It’s headed there.

So you punted all the way back from “Hey they have no right to tax returns” to “Hey they have no right to a specific person’s tax return”.

Good luck with that.

The subpoena in question is for the accounting firm to turn over financial records not to the IRS.

Congress does not require a subpoena for the tax returns from the IRS. Since the records to the committee are confidential we have no way of knowing who’s information the JCT has requested. We do know from their disclosure report in 2017 that they disclosed over 151 MILLION tax records and/or tax returns.

It’s not surprising that Trump wants to take this to court. Ultimately, the records will be turned over… Perhaps a future congress and president will make all presidents and vp’s tax records public information…

So, his action proved legal in the end, after the incompetent decisions of lower court justices were finally corrected by the supreme court. So, he didn’t break the law there. He simply upset partisan lower court judges, who tried to pretend what he did was illegal.