Trump sues in bid to block congressional subpoena of financial records

Here’s the point Doug:

If I had contacts with the Russian government.

If my staff deleted emails, used temporary apps to contact with a hostile foreign government.

If I was running for President of the United States

Law enforcements would have ever right to get warrants and demand I see my returns.

Trump is clearly hiding things, and thinks he’s some sort of king.

It truly amazes me to see the party of law enforcement and morals, go for the bat for somebody who is clearly immoral and corrupt.

If foreign governments are feeding me information, I am contacting my government. I am not hiding it.

If Obama pulled half the junk Trump did, you guys would be going crazy. And quite frankly, I see very little defense of Trump.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Doug’s charge is that Pelosi thinks she’s above the law. No, she’s doing what the congress permits, which is to keep the President in check.

Currently we’re under the impression that ONLY congress can indict and remove a sitting President, it makes sense that Pelosi WOULD demand the President show things.

The Mueller report for me, removed ANY inkling I had of voting for Trump in 2020. Back in 2016, I didn’t like the fact that Clinton thought she was above the law and got away with deleting emails, now we have Team Trump doing the same thing.

and interestingly, i’ve noted some of the more ardent Patriot Act people in the country and now suddenly against oversight of a public employee.

correct

All Congress wants to do is see his tax returns.

My favorite part.

Stunning post. Perhaps you could explain the connection in your mind.

How many Benghazi investigations were there?

Tell that to the court as well…Remember how sure you were about Jessie Smollett? Look how that turned out. Remember how sure you were on Russian Collusion? look how that turned out. You were wrong on both of those issues. You will be wrong on this too. Stating your opinion is fine and even encouraged. Dont get to emotionally invested because you will get your feeling hurt when the court rules.

We just investigated all this for two years. “Feelings” that there must be something there is not probable cause. The game is over.

i got roasted here when i guessed that the Mueller investigation was gonna go on for “X” number of months. i think it had something to do with the midterms or some weird thing that people were mad about.

but i was way off. i didn’t consider all the additional investigations, trials, court battles, appeals, etc.

this mess is gonna last for a decade.

I dont even like the guy. Why do you guys keep putting me in a position where I have to defend him?

I do not care about Donald Trump or his taxes. I care about privacy and politicians using the IRS as a political weapon. If they have the authority to request any individuals actual Tax Return going back how ever far they want, what do you see this leading to? I see a politician coming up on a tough campaign, and him requesting the actual return no matter how far back, and vilifying his opponent with it. Of course this will not be equal, because the opponent does not have the authority to request the Tax Returns of crooked politicians since he is not yet a member.

Now I know you are going to say this will never happen. Harry Reid Vilified Romney on the Senate Floor based on what he said a “Friend” told him. What if he had thought to get Romneys actual Tax Filings for the previous 30 years, because you know, he was “Authorized”.

Finally, dont expect the politicians to just use this against people you disapprove of. If this works, and the courts uphold it, the republicans will start doing the same thing against their opponents.

if Iran hired a person to run for President and he was charismatic and won, how does Congress determine who he is loyal to?

Congress shouldnt have to. It is up to the citizens of this great country and the electoral college to do that.

Believe me, I sure didnt like Obama when he was put up with limited political experience and no private sector experience. But what if McCain, being a member of the senate was allowed to get all of Obama’s tax forms going all the way back to his first filing around 1978? You guys are opening Pandoras box on this issue. Either force the govt to release them on everyone or no one. No middle ground.

I never said anything about Smollett, nor did i say anything about being sure about Russian collusion.

You must have me confused with someone else.

we have three equal branches of government and the voters are just gonna elect who is best on TV. we need for Congress to be able to perform oversight to see if, say, North Korea hired a dude to run for President.

If you didn’t cheat on your taxes, what damage would it cause to you if a congressman looked at your taxes? You are talking about government officials looking at government documents.

Secondly, our elected officials should have to live up to a higher ethical and transparency standard than the average citizen. How can people complain about corruption while simultaneously promoting a policy which basically amounts to never investigating potential misconduct?

If that is what you support, Why have an election at all? Just have the 535 vote on who they want for president. Look at the money that would be saved. Also, it wouldnt come down to just a few states controlling who gets elected.

If NK put up a guy to run for president, or even Russia, the executive can not create treaties with out congress. Congress can and quite often does stop the president on issues they dont agree with. Look how often both Obama and Trump has been taken to court and stopped. They should not be in a position to try and determine intent.

well, we went from voters electing a President (and Congress performing oversight) to no one voting for president really quick.

now, if a foreign power hired a dude to run for president, he was elected, he started changing US policy to favor that foreign country, how would we know unless there is oversight?

Because the congress uses incentives in the tax code to incentivize certain behavior. Then they will turn around and crucify a political opponent for taking advantage of those same rules that the congress put into the tax code. All of the sudden they become “Loop Holes” when their opponents use those rules that the congress put in place.

As I said, the congress puts a stop on those policies. That is their prerogative.