Trump says he's 'ready' to put tariffs on all $505 billion of Chinese goods

Hundreds of thousands of lost jobs. Massive devaluation of American agriculture leading to substantial financial losses for farmers. American consumers being able to afford less, with stagnated wages, will mean a decrease in their lifestyle, causing many more to struggle. American businesses will suffer financially, which could hasten the next recession.

And all on the hope that this will force China to change it’s ways. So we will punish Americans by raising taxes on them all based on hope and change. Hope and change. Hmm…sounds familiar.

The reality is that there are serious issues that need to be addressed regarding China. But taxing Americans is not the solution. It’s absurd to believe raising taxes on Americans will bring China to bow down to our demands. Especially when they don’t care one bit about the suffering their people will also endure. They know in American politics that the President is temporary. They will wait out Trump, watch the political and economic damage that he will ravage against his own people, and then when it gets bad enough that Americans say enough, they will work with a new President.

So really it is in the short term pain and in the long term same. Raising taxes on Americans is never the solution.

We usually do, until an organization is “too successful”. Look at all the accusations of cheating levied against the Patriots.

You have a point. And with trump haters stirring up discontent, the will to win is weak. Its almost as though trump haters want us to lose the long game.

Quality requires skill. Quality also costs less in the long run. One reason I now avoid Chinese made goods whenever possible.

Dude, almost the entire industry that YOU work in got bailed out by all of us. Your industry still gets government money.

Damn. Some people don’t even own a mirror.

Wha? People here were praising them after they were massively successful. I think they were the biggest company in the country at that point.

Two problems I have had with Walmart remain unchanged and one does go to a sentiment Koushi is making. There were quality products being made in America with those workers making good wages. Walmart forced suppliers to move production out the country to lower prices or they would not let then have shelf space. Instead of letting consumers decide what they are willing to pay for. The other is their rabid anti union views while paying very little.

No always they just seek the cheapest way to make something often with inferior material.

Posters here said that Wal-Mart customers voted with their purse and their purse said they wanted cheap products. And they were praised for giving us affordable products that the mom and pops couldn’t.

And others detracted from them and said they were using unfair practices.

Is that what was said before the Great Depression?

Moreso than Trump being openly compromised and treasonous, this is something he could do to get the real Republicans that matter, the GOP donor class, to support pushing the crazy old goat out of office.

So you wanna take Walmart down?

yeah, mostly ultra libs back then.

Well, and me. I’ve said their business practices are evil all along. While republicans then said it’s just capitalism.

Trust me I remember the praise Walmart got here especially during the Bush years and all because of their politics.

The problem I have with all this is the ignorance people have around trade agreements. I am for free trade but inside trade agreements there is language on mattolike the environment and child labor as well as working conditions and subsidies. When these are violated then there are penalties.

What people should really be upset about is that politicians have been unwilling to take steps to punish violations when made aware of them because of the cost to them in political donations.

We are told this, but there’s no specificity at all. How short? How long? What gain? The impacts are not equitable. Increases in the costs of good affects most the people who have little to no disposal income. There’s not much storm they can weather and when they can’t, of if you can’t, then what?

Depends.

They make fantastic phones now. If I wasn’t invested in Apple’s ecosystem I would purchase a Huawai or a ZTE over anything Samsung offers.

That’s retail in general. I work in auto parts retail. Every major retail outlet that I can think of is massively anti-union.

I admit I struggle with my principles. I’m pro-labor but I work in an industry that is anti-union to its core.

But hey, got to pay the bill. And I enjoy my job.

Seriously? Did you even read the whole post? There’s an English teacher in your past that needs a swift kick in the ass.

Umm, why are you angry?!?