Trump on Debt: “So? I won’t be here.”

The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.

“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt.

This is the man every Trump loving idiot decided to put in charge. “Screw you, I got mine”: the quintessential Republican philosophy.

1 Like

Well, it’s time to screw them and get all of these idiots out of office.

Remember when he said his economy was going to pay off the national debt in 4 years?

He’s ALWAYS lying.

Gotta love anonymous sources.

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new Republican Party. Deficit spending and further debt are no longer a problem - because they can kick the can down the road.

If you’re a fiscal conservative, the GOP is no friend of yours.

5 Likes

Because there’s absolutely no way Donald Trump would respond in that way? Lol.

1 Like

Lol That’s so Trump

1 Like

Anonymous sources are a thing in journalism. Sorry you don’t like them in this case. I’m sure other stories you’ve gladly championed in the past have used anonymous sources.

Borrowing from Thom Hartman: It’s the “two Santa Clauses” theory in action. Cut taxes and spend like crazy when in office, run up the debt. Then use the debt as a cudgel against the next Democrat president and Democrat Congress.

When not in power, the Republicans will scream: “Look at the debt. It’s out of control! Of course we have to cut social services.” It forces the Democrats to be the bad guys and either raise taxes or agree to cut social services.

TEA Party Republicans are enablers of this strategy. They protested deficit spending under Obama (even though there were few other options available to stimulate the economy) and are completely silent about the nearly trillion dollar deficits under Trump.

2 Likes

Remember when trump said he would pay off the debt in 8 years?

This quote is suitable for almost anything Trump says or does, but I’ll drop it here for now.

4 Likes

It’s Wednesday, so it’s “I don’t like anonymous sources” day. Tomorrow is Thursday, which is one of the “anonymous sources are cool” days."

1 Like

So he really is a conservative after all.

1 Like

Oddly enough this likely sums up his veiw on climate change as well.

2 Likes

“I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.”

So, how do you want to lower the debt? It’s nice the left suddenly cares…

The left won’t even acknowledge the drivers of the debt as predicted for decades…

You raise taxes to cover the spending, or you lower spending.

Republicans do neither, and there is no reason for democrats to lower spending or raise taxes. Because when they fix your ■■■■■ the republicans will get back in charge and lower taxes again. Let’s just keep going because no one cares anymore.

Baby Boomers light the way!!!

Paul Ryan had that plan… No dems supported it.

Paul Ryan had a majority in the house and the senate and the white house.

He didn’t need any support, Cratic3947.

1 Like