Trump Is Waging War on America’s Diplomats

Trump has never understood that career folks in our government take a oath to the Constitution and not to him. He and his minions are having a war on the “never Trumpers”. And I believe that we are loosing a whole bunch of good guys and gals. We are jeopardizing our national security by placing inexperienced folks in sensitive positions. Not to mention the twenty or so Ambassadors that are not in place after almost three years of Trump being in office.

Or maybe it was they that declared war on Trump.

Resist. :wink:

5 Likes

A war on the “never Trumpers”? Sounds like maybe it was sort of politicized already, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

So a one party state, by any means necessary. That’s where you are?

1 Like

anyone who doesn’t bow to the King should be punished.

5 Likes

I think he’s disputing that anyone who disagrees with Trump is a never Trumper (or a member of a “Deep State”). That’s how scare quotes work.

ETA: a de facto never Trumper

1 Like

Its amazing that when ever they tell me what I said they almost always say the exact opposite.

And those people need to realize that it is elected officials who determine our foreign policy, not them.
If they don’t like it they need to quit.

5 Likes

And they are quitting, in droves, often after decades of service under Presidents from both parties. Doesn’t that make you scratch your head even a tiny bit?

1 Like

Its ok for a foreign diplomat to disagree with Trump. If they disagree to the extent that they can’t continue to carry out the policies established by our elected officials, then they need to get other jobs.
They do not establish foreign policy.

2 Likes

No. Trump did not hide his positions when he ran for President. Again, career bureaucrats jobs do not include establishing foreign policy. If that policy changes and they can’t handle it they need to quit.

You simply justified it on a partisan basis. It does not say they refused to carry out policy.

Exactly. The London guy got it simply because he mentioned Obama in a speech.

1 Like

I guess I’m wondering why you’re chalking it all up to policy differences. Probably every one of them had significant policy differences with a then-current administration, yet they soldiered on. What’s changed?

When You have amazing Policy like Why doesn’t the population of Seoul, South Korea 10 million people simply move farther away from the border I would also quit.

But that would put them farther away from all of those really nice condos that Trump wants Kim to build on the coast. Prime real estate land you know.

From the article:

“The administration’s strategy is to isolate career people from the policymaking process as much as possible, and where that’s not possible, to stifle dissent through character assassination and to let that have a chilling effect,” says the foreign service officer who was forced out, adding, “God, it makes me want to vomit. Because what country are we talking about?”

The article is talking about people quiting because they don’t get to establish the country’s foreign policies. And they should quit if that is their basis. The Constitution nowhere authorizes unelected bureaucrats to establish the country’s foreign policy.

2 Likes

If that is what you get from that then my initial post is spot on.

Do you think Politician write their own bills?

Hi Doug. You seem reasonable, and more than capable of recognizing subtext. Any thoughts on what’s different now? It’s not necessarily policy, it seems, but a culture of enforced sycophancy or silence. Trumpers love to compare Trump to Lincoln. Didn’t Lincoln create a Team of Rivals, and encourage vigorous debate? Do you really think Gordon Sundlund is smarter, better informed, or more capable than Fiona Hill? Up to the point where his ass was in sling, he wouldn’t have said ■■■■ about Trump if he had a mouthful.

unelected bureaucrat are the only reason why the government functions.

You think Sundlund knows the first thing about the complexity of US/EU trade?, does he know all the export market for every country, does he know international law, European, US law and how it can be altered.