Trump ignores Pentagon advice and intervenes in military war crimes cases

It is. Under the oversight of their Commander in chief, who has authority to fix what he might regard as their occasional errors in judgment.

1 Like

so you think the Pentagon was wrong when the enforced UCMJ and the military justice system was wrong when they convicted them?

Trump, as Commander in Chief, has reviewed the case and decided that his subordinates did not try and convict with the appropriate mix of mercy and judgment. I am not privy to the info Trump is. But he holds the power of pardon for a reason. What do you think that reason is?

1 Like

I think one issue people have is that Trump has never demonstrated an ability to understand complex or nuanced situations. Health care, budgets, trade, foreign policy, treaties, congressional rules, judicial rules, government operations…he has shown he doesn’t have the attention span or even interest to focus on complex situations or learn about them. This is why he is always saying things in press conferences, interview sessions or tweets that don’t make any sense. Or gets flustered in a call with Erdogan and then does a snap foreign policy decision and says we’re pulling out of Syria. Stuff like that. Its why his briefings have been dumbed down to short simple points and often only one point because that seems to be all he can handle. So the idea that Trump spent time really reviewing and deliberating on these cases is pretty far fetched. He doesn’t like to read anything. That’s why while he has this power doesnt necessarily mean he’s using it correctly.

12 Likes

My impression of his analytical skills is quite different from yours. What makes your assessment anything other than Media Matters talking points?

4 Likes

Notice the two forces being played here? Listen to these two parts of the same article;

A US Defense official told CNN that the leadership of the Defense Department made every effort to ensure that the President had all the necessary information at his disposal prior to making this decision. ​

Even so, the President moved ahead with the decision, acting on the second day of the House impeachment inquiry’s public hearings. It was also the day that his longtime political adviser and friend Roger Stone was found guilty of lying to and obstructing Congress in a case related to Trump and the release of stolen Democratic emails in 2016 by WikiLeaks. ​​

No names named. No one standing up for themselves saying…yeah…I said that. Just chicken ■■■■ tactics in an attempt to make this purely political and purely for coverng your own butt due to negative current events.

Now here’s the positive side;

As the President has stated, ‘when our soldiers have to fight for our country, I want to give them the confidence to fight.’ "

“The Department of Defense has confidence in the military justice system. The President is part of the military justice system as the Commander-in-Chief and has the authority to weigh in on matters of this nature,” said Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

Wow…someone who came out of the shadows, gave their name and stated what they believe.

1 Like

Who told you that?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: Good luck. Minds are made up.

1 Like

.^
Depends on who says it. If it’s an ignorant individual that doesn’t understand what being a Chief in the Navy means - then meh.

For those of us that understand the proud traidition and increased responsibilities of being a Chief Petty Officer - ya - it’s a big slam.
. WW
. Chief Aviation Electronics Technician, Air Warfare, Naval Aircrewman
. USN, Ret.

1 Like

What exactly are you laughing at? I’m curious.

Is Media Matters still a thing? Simply out of curiosity, when have you seen him discuss or deal with a situation that showed any kind of firm grasp of details or possible broader implications? Something that actually showed evidence of good analytical skills.

A Naval E-7 grade is a CPO.

He has chaired televised consultative meetings on various issues in the WH. he seemed to me to be pretty compos mentis and able to keep up. His handling of China shows great strategic awareness.

1 Like

You…

2 Likes

A lot of people who have never served can’t really understand the difference between pay grade and rank. It may be impossible for them.

For some reason…

2 Likes

file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/one-month-old-terrier-mix-260nw-424649320.webp

I’m not seeing the strategic awareness on China. Im seeing a lot of lurching around with no tangible results while simultaneously hurting our economy. Im pretty sure we’re going to end up right back where we started and Trump will declare victory. His complete rejection of TPP with no plan to replace it with other bilateral trade agreements showed his complete lack of strategic awareness.

But seriously, what were these meetings where Trump was able to “keep up” that demonstrate impressive analytical skills?

Care to elaborate?