Trump: I can pardon myself if I want to

It wasn’t an admission of guilt for Johnson- Johnson didn’t accept it. He was dead.
When a pardon is accepted, it is an admission of guilt.

Amazing isn’t it? They start a speculative straw man thread and immediately act like it came from President Trump. :roll_eyes:

The presidents lawyer brought it up, didn’t he?

1 Like

Yeah, Trump and his cronies have been such helpful participants in this investigation and aren’t constantly either threatening to shut it down or bragging about how they could at a moment’s notice. Law and order!

No evidence here of such. I doubt very much that being in play.

Straw man? Multiple reports indicate the President himself has been asking if he has such power.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-lawyers-seek-to-undercut-muellers-russia-investigation/2017/07/20/232ebf2c-6d71-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.8a1d10853981

One unnamed person said Trump had asked about pardoning himself.
“Multiple reports”? Really?

Multiple left wing sources with an anonymous source? Well that seals it! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I know he can’t, but GOD I want him to try.

So much fun.

Are unnamed sources a new phenomenon as of January 2017? Why do cons always bring that up? That’s investigative journalism!

there is no question he can pardon a relative
but pardoning himself is placing himself above the law.

In a nation based on the rule of law I dont see how the Founders would have intended for 1 man to have the ability to place himself above the reach of justice.

Well then what is the point of a pardon when a sentence has already been served? I seem to be missing something here.

I understand commuting sentences for people who are already in jail. They simply serve less time.

But once a person has satisfied the penalty, I don’t see the point of a pardon, unless the person is still on parole.

Who is president?

What law is he placing himself above? There is no higher law than the US Constitution which explicitly places that power in his/her hands.

The constitution places no limits on that power nor does it empower any other branch to do so.

There’s no question as to whether or not he violated the law. The only question is as to whether that law was just and justly applied in his case.

In reality that law was used to target him specifically because of his race in violation of the 14th Amendment.

Then pardoning a relative is putting the relative above the law.

The framers could have simply said “a president may not pardon himself”. They didn’t say that and they knew how to write English much better than we do.

Does one = multiple in liberal speak?

the constitution say the RTBA shall not be infringed. and yet there are restrictions on buying certain weapons. im pretty confident that if teh president tried to pardon himself not only would he be impeached but the supreme court would reject the idea

You can imagine whatever you want to but that doesn’t make it factual.

The sole power of pardons rests with the exec. The courts have no jurisdiction over pardons period.

That right is solely, and absolutely under the purview of the executive.